Switch/Router keeps turning LAN connections on and off

DJ Zaki

Limp Gawd
well, it seems that my wireless laptop hasn't been affected, but the desktop is (using ethernet cable). I switched RJ45 cables on diff ports and the same thing happens.

Unfortunately, my LAN setup at my apartment, is done by my crazy-ass roommate who's got a wack setup going on, with our Cable Modem hooked up to his switch hooked up to my wireless router and so forth.

I tried reset, then unplugged it all from the wall and plugged back in, and everything seemed to be working again after a few ipconfig reset/renew, but now it's back to messed up, and i have "limited connectivity" on the desktop...even after renewing the ipconfig.

What are the first things I should be looking for?

DJ Zaki said:
Unfortunately, my LAN setup at my apartment, is done by my crazy-ass roommate
DJ Zaki said:
What are the first things I should be looking for?
A new roomate :)

J/K.... bump for someone who can answer this.....

the same thing has been happening to me actually.

i posted a thread in here about it and didn't get any replies. :(

are you using dhcp server? Do you have them on "Obtain Ip Automatically"? Try with static ip addresses.

yes we got a DHCP server going...and unfortunately it kept @#*$ around still. We're currently using static ip addresses and only his switch, because my router seems to be @#()$*#)@$(

I hope we fix it tomorrow...

Try plugging directly into the router instead of the switch. See if that brings you any luck.

Why is the switch the first device on your side of the modem? Have you purchased multiple IP's from your ISP? If there is only one IP, then the router needs to be the first device.

Back