Switch recommendations.

The Spyder

2[H]4U
Well, looks like our trusty (sarcasm) Dell Powerconnect 3348 switch is finally beyond repair.
Its dropping ports like its going out of style, loosing packets, and reseting randomly.

I need 2 48 port 10/100 with at least 1Gigabit copper (yes sadly) uplink. Managed is a huge bonus and so are proper Vlan's.

Used is ok. Cisco, HP??? Im on a tight budget :( (3-600, I hate the boss some days...)
Cisco 2950?
Cisco 3500?
Cisco 3550?
3com?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3Com-SuperS...ryZ51268QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What about netgear?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Netgear-48-Port...ryZ51268QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 2950 should do you just fine. If you can get a 3550 then go for that. You can do all sorts of sweet VLAN maps and ACLs for network segregation with that one. The 2950 is L2 only. You will have to buy a separate gbic for the 3550 to get your gig on.

I'm saying go for the 3550 as well. It's a very nice switch and you can find them pretty cheap now days.

Depends where in your network its going. If its a Core, Access, Distribution switch it will make a difference. Im guessing its an access switch in which case I would save youre money and just go with a 2950-48. I cant see you needing any layer 3 stuff which is the only compelling reason I could see going that route.

No layer 3 stuff really. Its just a distribution switch to my workstations in our lab/machine shop/engineering/and admin offices.

You dont even want to know what my core switch is :(

For a 2950/3550 what transiver for gigabit copper do I need?

I'm a fan of HP ProCurves.

Very good quality, good support, lifetime warranty(most models)....and they're not overpriced!

HP all the way.

Although after some looking, I'm not sure you are going to find anything at that price point.

I'm a fan of HP ProCurves.

Very good quality, good support, lifetime warranty(most models)....and they're not overpriced!

I second this. I'm also a fan of 3Com products but I know most of you will disagree :)

I have 3 main choices now, Cisco, HP, and 3com.

Im off to research them all :)

And I FINALLY got the Dell to talk via hyperterminal to my laptop. I can find nothing wrong with it, which worries me. I have a bank of 16 ports on it that are known bad. (Example, only connecting at 10mb and unable to ping anything. )

Cisco or HP depending on your knowlege of Cisco and if you need that much "power" to run you network. HP is great and comes with a lifetime warranty, cisco's do not.

I again recomend the HP procurve range. I use them at work and have had no issues with them, We bought 4 24 port FULLY gigabit switches from some clearance sale 6 months ago for only £700 for the whole lot.

We have got some ciscos here at work but i find the HP's sooo much easier to administrate, have zero performance issues and just keep on going, as you would expect from a switch like this.

I also recomend dell's powerconnect range as i have have some experience with these switches and they are quite a bit cheaper than the procurve range of switches but still are just as reliable and featured.

I've said it a few other places, but my work decided it was worth the cost to replace all of our 3coms with ProCurves. The reliability of the 3coms (sorry, I don't know which models) was becoming an issue, so we just replaced all of them at once.

If I had the budget, I would.

However the cisco 3550 has a lifetime warranty (basically 5yr power supply/fan and then 5yr past discontinuation.)

I found a used, broken 3550-48-SMI for $0.99c on ebay and they are local. I am headed there now to see if I can buy it before the auction ends for $100 then warranty it.

Have you considered Extreme Networks? I've used them briefly and liked what I saw.

Back