Switch plugged in = no internet access

Tazman2

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm no expert in networking stuff but have managed to pickup quite a bit of random knowledge but never seen this one in all the bs I've seen over the years. Comcast modem, dlink switch 8 port and a bunch of offices nothing complicated. One runs upstairs to a classroom which has a switch (replaced recently) which runs to 5 machines plus a wireless AP. Whenever that switch is plugged in almost everybody loses internet. Its not the wiring running up as the AP is now plugged into it and I also tried other wires to it and no go. Ideas!? Short in the new switch or!? Also oddly even with the LAN not hooked up for actual internet access/DHCP I see the activity lights blink for the connected ports blink at the same time constantly. WTF!? :eek:

Exactly what you said. You're plugging the network back into itself.

But reading your first post, is there a router/gateway type deal between the cable modem and the network?

Did you try a different switch?

Exactly what you said. You're plugging the network back into itself.

But reading your first post, is there a router/gateway type deal between the cable modem and the network?

Did you try a different switch?

No. Basically the Comcast modem and the 8 port router are downstairs in an office and the wiring goes from there to the rest of the building. The switch with the issue is at the end of one of the runs from the office, etc. Well another day another thing I learn! Thanks for the quick replies guys! :)

we had some loops here at work one day, a womans sun looped our voice jacks with our data jacks. So we were getting voice broadcast traffic in our workstation vlans..we thought maybe the vlans somehow broke down. lol

shiiit. we had to close our office for like half a day to figure it out.

A friend accidentally plugged a mislabeled port back into the switch with a hub in the middle back in the day. We have a saying that "51 + 53 = 0" due to what it did to the network.

I upped him by adding wireless. I was playing with bridging in Windows while at a remote office on WiFi-only, then forgot about it before going back to the main office and plugging into the network with my WiFi still on. It was a good troubleshooting exercise though, and we actually neutralized it quite quickly.

Back