Swiftech Storm - worth keeping?

Louis

n00b
I have a Swiftech Storm from 2005 that I just pulled out of an old PC. Technology has progressed a lot since then. I'm wondering if this thing is worth keeping or should I just toss it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1641.jpeg
    IMG_1641.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 0
I'd either sell it or toss it unless you have some application for it. Speaking from experience, I recently tossed a similar block - apogee GT. Problem is it can be difficult to adapt to newer sockets. Mine didn't fit 1151 (Skylake) but I found a way with ghetto home made mounting. It cooled ok, but never made good contact. The problem was I couldn't make a back plate to support it. I used nuts and bolts to secure it to the board.

This turned out to be a bad idea. It caused the board to warp around the cpu socket. I ditched the apogee and went with something newer - with a very robust backplate. Luckily I didn't damage anything and it's working great.

Unless you just want the challenge of adapting an old block to a newer socket, it's not worth the time. You'll spend a good amount on materials anyways.

If you have the tools and want a bit of fun, I encourage it! And I demand pics!

I'd either sell it or toss it unless you have some application for it. Speaking from experience, I recently tossed a similar block - apogee GT. Problem is it can be difficult to adapt to newer sockets. Mine didn't fit 1151 (Skylake) but I found a way with ghetto home made mounting. It cooled ok, but never made good contact. The problem was I couldn't make a back plate to support it. I used nuts and bolts to secure it to the board.

This turned out to be a bad idea. It caused the board to warp around the cpu socket. I ditched the apogee and went with something newer - with a very robust backplate. Luckily I didn't damage anything and it's working great.

Unless you just want the challenge of adapting an old block to a newer socket, it's not worth the time. You'll spend a good amount on materials anyways.

If you have the tools and want a bit of fun, I encourage it! And I demand pics!
Yea, I'm not likely to go through that trouble. Do you think this thing has any market value worth pursuing? This is one of the original high pressure designs, which appears to no longer be in vogue.

I had that one too. I ended up throwing mine out. As much as it hurts, these old computer parts now matter how good they were, don't age well with time!

Reactions: Louis
like this
You could keep it and use it for some DIY stuff, like - for instance - using some thermal tape to attach it to the VRM block or something like that, if it fits.

Reactions: Louis
like this
Or give it away for the cost of shipping right here on the for sale forum. I'm not a fan of throwing stuff out just because it's of no use to you anymore. It might be useful to someone.

I've twice now had this happen to me. My pump is a swiftech 655. Great pump, but the impeller was damaged when I got it used. A kind member here sent me the impeller from their dead pump for $20. Not very long ago, I was concerned that the pump might be on its way out. Turned out all it needed was a good bearing clean, but that's besides the point. Another kind member had a perfectly good working identical pump that he was no longer using. Sent it to me for the cost of shipping so I now have a spare. These are not easy or cheap to get in Canada so to say I was grateful is an understatement.

Do someone the same favor. If nobody wants it you can always salvage the metal and dump it in a scrap bin somewhere.

If you want to try and sell it, you probably won't get much. I'd start at $20 and see what happens. Might not be worth the trouble.

I third the freebie thread. There are alot of folks on these forums that do nostalgia/retro builds. Hate to see that in a dump.

Back