Swiftech Quiet power good?

Palnning to build a WC rig... but I wanted to know if Swiftech's Quiet Powers are good in comparison to a Thermochill rad. Are Thermochill rads THAT much better than other radiators in the market?

Swiftech's MCR series is probably the best when it comes to price/performance ratio. I have a few and love them. However, when space becomes a concern where you can't endlessly add MCR's, then Thermochills are the answer. Nothing comes close to their performance nor their restriction free design. They're very little pressure drop.

You can't go wrong with either. If you can afford it and want the most out of a radiator, go thermochill. If you'd rather save the money for other parts and don't need that much cooling power, then go MCR QP.

PA's beat the QP series by 25-30 percent.

Though I own a Swiftech MCR320 myself. I would say the statistic above is accurate based on what I've seen at various forums. But for $48 a Swiftech triple rad is a very good value. I plan on getting a quad core cpu and an 8800GTS on the loop. I'm hoping that it'll be able to handle it especially because I'm just OCing the processor.

Agreed, the mcr rads are great for the price... I use an mcr220 for my gpu loop and have very good temps. The thermochill pa rads are hands down the best, especially with lower rpm fans, but pricey.

In what metric?

Assuming a 2.0 GPM flow rate (say with a DDC-2), the MCR320QP can dissipate 450W of heat while the PA120.3 can dissipate 650W of heat.

There's also virtually no pressure loss with a PA radiator as opposed to something like BIX & BIP's.

Only drawback to the thermochills besides the fact they cost a lot is how damned hard it is to mount the things. Saying its a bitch mounting them on a case doesn't do them justice.

Only drawback to the thermochills besides the fact they cost a lot is how damned hard it is to mount the things. Saying its a bitch mounting them on a case doesn't do them justice.

I'm not sure what's so different. They're thicker, but that has nothing to do with the actual mounting itself. All radiator's I've ever used and installed just took screws.

They are much thicker and taller. Other draw back is you must get a grill from Thermochill since their fan placement isn't like others.

Overall, I would go with the PA just because of the overhead.

Considering the Thermochill, but if I'm going to cool either an 8800GTS or GTX and a Conroe (possibly quad core) in the future... would a Quiet Power Triple rad be enough? So I'm thinking the CPU can hit max 200w ( with Quad core being in the 200 range) and the GPU also in the 200w.

How much temp difference am I talking between Thermochill triple and Quiet Power triple with a CPU block (most likely Fuzion), D5, and a D5? Provided fans are Yate Loons at 7V.

Considering the Thermochill, but if I'm going to cool either an 8800GTS or GTX and a Conroe (possibly quad core) in the future... would a Quiet Power Triple rad be enough? So I'm thinking the CPU can hit max 200w ( with Quad core being in the 200 range) and the GPU also in the 200w.

How much temp difference am I talking between Thermochill triple and Quiet Power triple with a CPU block (most likely Fuzion), D5, and a D5? Provided fans are Yate Loons at 7V.

Probably the difference between being able to handle an SLI 8800GTX or just a single card at your fan speed level. A PA120.3 and an MCR320QP should be able to handle a Quad and 8800GTX fine with Yates at 7V. However, once you go into SLI, the MCR320QP won't be able an SLI config as well as a PA120.3 can.

This of course is assuming a 1 GPM flow rate and 10C delta between ambient and water temps.

Right on... thanks for the reply. Don't think I'll ever go SLI so it looks like the Switech triple would suit me just fine... although just the "feeling" of having a ThermoChill rad is awesome... but if I felt that way about all the things I purchased... I'd go for a Mountain Mods case as well.

Aqua Computer makes a really nice set of brackets that looked like they would work well on the Thermochills. I only fitted it up with one rad so YMMV.

I have to say that when it comes to rads the Thermochills are much better then the Swiftech's even though they are a bit more expensive. I was initially using a Swiftech MCR120 QP that came with the H20 120 premium setup and my the temps on my 8800 GTX was running at 140 idle/150 load. Once I got the Thermochill PA-160 up in dropped to 118 idle/129 load.

I haven't seen the temps on my 8800 GTX KO superclocked break 129 F as of yet on full load. Even with the Antec Tricool fans at the minimum setting it doesn't break 140 F on full load.

I was skeptical that it would perform that much better but I have to say now that it infact does what people say.

Go with a Thermochill PA-160.

MCR120 != PA160...

That's like comparing an 80mm radiator to a 120mm radiator.

In the same size class, the difference is at most 20%.

Back