• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Swiftech MCX159 Chipset cooler experience

c1001

Gawd
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
943
I put a Swiftech MCX159-CU on my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe after reading some recommendations here.

I found the Sunon maglev fan that came with it to have a noticeable zip-like sound and replaced it with a 40mm SilenX fan that I had laying around. It puts out noticeably less air than the thicker Sunon, but it is quieter and seems to cool the copper pins just fine.


Last night I took off the fan to test it in passive mode. I know of the Zalman blue colored aluminum heatsink that is passive, and I figure that copper would be more effective than aluminum at transferring heat. I found the heatsink to get uncomfortably hot to the touch after no more than ten minutes of running, and since it touches my 7800gtx, I started getting concerned. The motherboard didn't start freaking out, but the A8N-SLI Deluxe doesn't have a chipset temperature reader.

Does anyone run this heatsink in a passive only mode?
How hot should it get and be considered to be normal?
 
I wouldn't run it in full-passive mode, seeing how the heatsink fins are pretty densely packed. You need good spacing between all the fins for air to flow through, and with the MCX159-Cu, that's where the fan comes in.
 
Back
Top