swiftech mcr220 rad & fans

DanSan

Limp Gawd
i drew up a little picture of my case (thermaltake armor) in photoshop and i was wondering if i could get some feedback from ya guys.

I plan on using the swiftech mcr220 rad and not sure if i need 2 fans or go with overkill 4 fans. If i use 4 fans, the front 2 will be Yate Loon Blue LED 120mm and the back 2 would be standard black Yate Loon 120mm fans. i drew up how i would mount it so if anyone has any comments to whether or not 4 fans is just ridiculous because if so ill just go with 2 front led fans

http://dansansworld.com/images/radiator.jpg

i drew up a little picture of my case (thermaltake armor) in photoshop and i was wondering if i could get some feedback from ya guys.

I plan on using the swiftech mcr220 rad and not sure if i need 2 fans or go with overkill 4 fans. If i use 4 fans, the front 2 will be Yate Loon Blue LED 120mm and the back 2 would be standard black Yate Loon 120mm fans. i drew up how i would mount it so if anyone has any comments to whether or not 4 fans is just ridiculous because if so ill just go with 2 front led fans

http://dansansworld.com/images/radiator.jpg

4 fans is not ridiculous. It's pretty common. Just make sure you use shrouds, or it'll be pretty pointless.

Fans in a push/pull configuration are pretty ridiculous to begin with. The only advantage to using them this way is if you run them at extremely low speeds. I've tried the push/pull thing and saw about a 1c difference, regardless of how fast I ran my fans. Maybe that's worth it to you but personally I just think it's a waste of time and space.

Fans in a push/pull configuration are pretty ridiculous to begin with. The only advantage to using them this way is if you run them at extremely low speeds. I've tried the push/pull thing and saw about a 1c difference, regardless of how fast I ran my fans. Maybe that's worth it to you but personally I just think it's a waste of time and space.

I lost 4c when I added 2 more fans to my radiator. I run 4 yate loons at 7v too. They're practically silent.

Yes, I did repeat this rest a few times (by removing them) to prove that it wasn't just statistical or user error. It really helped me.

I lost 4c when I added 2 more fans to my radiator. I run 4 yate loons at 7v too. They're practically silent.

Yes, I did repeat this rest a few times (by removing them) to prove that it wasn't just statistical or user error. It really helped me.

I've tried push/pull on 2 different rads and any performance improvement was minimal at best. Now that's just my own experiences. I'm sure in some instances it would be beneficial but just wasn't for me.

If you have a lot of heat (GPU/CPU and north bridge) to get rid of 4 low speed fans are the way to go. I wold have the fans blowing out so you do not put all of that heat back into your case. Your ram (both video and main) will like you for it.

I've tried push/pull on 2 different rads and any performance improvement was minimal at best. Now that's just my own experiences. I'm sure in some instances it would be beneficial but just wasn't for me.

What fans? For most setups you're 100% right... Push Pull does nothing.

I guess using 4 fans at 4-500rpm show alot more improvement than 4 a5 1000rpm.

Which makes sense... Diminishing returns and all :p

ok, well lets say i just use 2 fans at put them on the right side/facing out of the front of the case. do i have them pulling air in from the front or do i have them pull air out from the case

I've got a coolrad 22t with 4 yates in push/pull and overall net being intake. Testing has shown the coolrad to be pretty much identical to mcr220 in performance, even though it uses bix style (it has a lower fpi though which helps).

I've got pretty low clearance at the intake location, so I figure if moving to 2 fans from 4 isn't much of a difference, it'd probably help me in my case actually. So I plan on taking off two of the fans and flipping 2 of them around so it's exhaust in a pull fashion.

I'll post back when I do it to report any differences.

I would do 4 yates at 7v and forget they were even there... if you have the room for them...

ok if i did 4 yate fans.. which way should the airflow be going?

my first idea was front 2 fans pulling in and back 2 fans pulling in as well which shoots air towards the back of the case.

now i just might use 2 front fans pulling air in towards the rad?

Yes a pull configuration is better if you are using two fans, you get less turbulence compared to having a push configuration where the air from the fans are pushed through the fins of the radiator.

So just take off the two fans in front of the radiator and you will be fine.

i actually want the fans in the front, due to the fact i have a thermaltake armor and u can see right through the front drive bays. So id have to set the front 2 fans to pull in fresh air correct?

if i wanted to use 4 fans, what would be the best for both heat disapation and airflow and noise?

if you want fans in the front you are doing a push configuration where you push outside air into your radiator then into the case.

same principle with 4 fans, 2 fans in front push air through and 2 fans in the back pull air through. All 4 fans exhaust the air into the case.

ok so that should be a good setup.. should i be worried about throwing too much hot air through the case? as u can see i have a rear 120mm as exhaust so i think i should be fine

I was told that it wouldn't be a problem to have the air go through the rad and into the case. But when I did it, if I go under load for a while, the air coming out of my rear 120 is hot as hell. If I open up the case and feel inside, it's a hell of a lot of warm air. I'm going to hopefully flip it around this weekend and see what happens.

well the whole point of the radiator is to have the highest temperature delta of air in versus air out. The air outside of the case is going to be the coolest so the best setup will take the outside air and pass it through the radiator.

If you have proper airflow in your case it shouldn't matter that the air going into the case is a lil warm.

ok so maybe to help it along, i could use 2 front fans sucking air in and 2 fans on back of rad pushing air towards back of case

Back