Swiftech H220 high speed ticking

raglafart

Limp Gawd
Hi
I bought one of the Swiftech H220 AIO's, very nicely put together but I'm getting a high frequency ticking from what appears to be the pump/cooler block. It's not super noisy but I can hear it just which makes it even more annoying! It's only just started after I'd been running in turbo mode for a while
It's only a month or two old and I've got the board and fan setting set to quite now but can just still hear it. If I go to turbo it gets quite noisy.
I've got the header tank in the top of the Obsidian 750 case.
I've stopped every fan in the system one by one to make sure it wasn't a fan, did the old car trick of putting a wooden chop stick in my ear and the other end to the rear side of the motherboard behind the water block and you can definitely hear the ticking.
Just wondered if the position of the header tank may be a detail!?
There's nothing else that's going to produce a mechanical sound like that is there?
Any suggestions?

I'd say open an RMA and get the cooler replaced.

Unfortunately the h220 is known for this particular problem. Overclock.net has a dedicated forum for the H220 and quite a few people have reported this problem. I am personally on my third unit and this ones been running great (Fingers crossed lol) The upside is Swiftech has acknowledged it as a manufacturing defect and corrected the problem in its latest revision and also is great to deal with for RMA's.

Sometimes bleeding the line of air and trying to get any bubbles out of the pump can fix the ticking, otherwise reach out to Swiftech and they will replace it for you nice and quick.

This is the link to the overclock.net forum, it has directions for attempting to fix the ticking, and also has a dedicated swiftech guy that responds to problems in the post.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1367654/swiftech-h220-h320-and-cm-glacer-240l-owners-club

Thanks obliv
I'll give it a go to see if I can get rid of the air bubbles according to the link you posted.
Much appreciated.
Cheers John

My H220 started going out like that; the ticking. It got louder so I flushed the system. The noise was still there, but not as bad. It eventually started grinding. I removed the impeller to find that the flying magnet, or whatever it is, was cracked lengthwise from top to bottom. I RMA'd the unit & have had no problems since.

I did a teardown on the new unit & gave it a flush & cleaning. I got some plastic shavings out of it. I disassembled the pump. It appears that the milling process is faulty. The pump plenum is rough & there were some plastic strands hanging off. Cleaned up the spots & assembled. Has been working flawlessly since I put it into service 2 months ago. I do think these pumps require a higher coolant to water ratio to provide proper lubrication of the pump though. My 2 cents anyway.

I RMA'd the unit. It went back to PC Case Gear in Australia, got an email today to say the replacement has already been shipped.
Can't ask for more, excellent turnaround and service

Hmmm!, the down side is that the brand new replacement unit they sent is making water rushing noises now and then.
It sounds like the system isn't 100% full so will have to take the rad out and see what's what.
I'm kind of disappointed after all the hype about it being the best AIO unit.
Just hope once I've had a chance to check it out it will perform as good and the Intel unit that I originally bought for the system

The Intel water cooler I've swapped into my wife's machine is now 18-24 months old and works well and is so quiet!

Back