Swiftech Challenge

And what are the preliminary results?

The Fusion is very interesting, really. I designed a similar pin grid block (though it has yet to materialize - it's still in the works, however), and by my calculations, the pressure drop was quite enormous. I'm going to snag this block and start taking some measurements, if nothing else.

EDIT: Oh, and I hope like hell that this thing can't beat out my G5. If that ends up being the case, I'm afraid she's going to go into retirement.

EDIT: Oh, and I hope like hell that this thing can't beat out my G5. If that ends up being the case, I'm afraid she's going to go into retirement.
Nope, not going to happen :D Seriously, Unless Stew makes a G7, I don't think any block will ever beat the G5.

Finished the G5 and Fuzion. Pasted from XS...

Well. I don't know if this is going to help, hurt or just confuse the situation, but these are my results so far in comparing the G5 to the FuZion. Keep in mind I used TAT to generate load - according to Roscal it is perhaps 20% higher heat output than the rated TDP. See HERE for more. I used Shin-Etsu G751 thermal paste and my IHS is lapped flat. I performed 3 mounts of each block - I let the paste burn in under load with TAT for 1 hour, then recorded the second hour. I then averaged the TAT log for the hour of all core temps. I measured ambient temps every 10 minutes during the test and those were then averaged. My CPU is a 6700 running at 3.85Ghz with 1.56V set in bios.

There are many unknowns here; heat output is the biggest factor that we don't know, we can guess but it is only a guess. Without that, we can not calculate a c/w. I did not (and will not, too messy) calculate flow rate. I can tell you that the Fuzion flows like no other I have ever seen. I could barely bleed my system with that sucker. My vid block (MP-01) remained in the loop for all tests. Rad fans were left on max.

Let me be the first to say that these results surprise me ATM. I know the G5 is good and I knew the Fuzion would not outperform it on a dual core cpu, but I did not expect this. I will start testing of the Apogee GT hopefully tomorrow. With those results perhaps we will get a clearer picture. I wish I had a Swiftech Storm to test as well but I don't. IIRC the G5 should outperform the G4 by about 1C at 100w or so. Anyway, here are the numbers.

g5vsfuzion.gif

Thanks for the results nikhsub. Looking forward to results (and pics!) from the Apogee GT.

Any ideas on why the big gap between T1 and T2, T3 on the Storm? Probably an anomaly of some kind. Can one still get a G5?

Any ideas on why the big gap between T1 and T2, T3 on the Storm? Probably an anomaly of some kind. Can one still get a G5?
Just a mount variation, a rather large one at that. Just goes to show how important it is to mount a block multiple times before judging anything. The G5 is a large based block, it can sometimes be tricky to mount. The FuZion OTOH is very easy (for me) to mount as it is square, nothing on the sides to interfere.

Can one still get a G5?
Not new, no. I assume that, from time to time, they may show up on eBay or in FS/T forums. I don't know the quantity of G5s that exist, but somewhere between 100-150 is a reasonable guess.

What I do know is that there are at least three in the Los Angeles area that will likely never be sold (Scott's, mine, and one other guy's whose name I'm blanking on). As far as I'm concerned, these things are priceless.

Oh, and nikhsub's testing further confused things for us it looks like. We'll see where the Apogee GT stands and then perhaps we'll have a clearer picture.

nikhsub1 said:
IIRC the G5 should outperform the G4 by about 1C at 100w or so. Anyway, here are the numbers.
1C/100W is about right, yeah. But I do believe the larger primary cooling patch of the G5 may be quite a bit more effective at cooling the kind of proc you're running than the relatively small-ish cup array on the G4. About how large does the Fusion's (I refuse to say "Fuzion") pin grid appear to be?

phide said:
1C/100W is about right, yeah. But I do believe the larger primary cooling patch of the G5 may be quite a bit more effective at cooling the kind of proc you're running than the relatively small-ish cup array on the G4. About how large does the Fusion's (I refuse to say "Fuzion") pin grid appear to be?
Yeah I reckon the G5 would do a fair bit better than 1c than the G4 with this heatload I'm running plus the bigger cooling patch. Maybe this pic helps with the second question?

basewquarter.jpg

nikhsub, can you comment on the looks of the Fuzion in person? From the pics it looks kind of fugly to me. The top just seems really square and kind of bloated (thick). Also the grain to the delrin just puts me off in pictures. However it could seem just fine in person.

He's selling a G5 for $200.
He obviously doesn't understand how significant it is. Either that, or he's brain dead (not unlikely considering the fact that he mangled the baseplate). That's my judgment pass, as you declined to do one :)

nikhsub1 said:
Maybe this pic helps with the second question?
It does indeed, thanks.

He obviously doesn't understand how significant it is. Either that, or he's brain dead (not unlikely considering the fact that he mangled the baseplate). That's my judgment pass, as you declined to do one :)

It does indeed, thanks.

Nah, hes not brain dead, hes a nice guy who used that horrible liquid metal stuff, and his G5 isn't beyond a bit of TLC, its just that stupid liquid metal stuff that has ruined heatsinks around the world, nothing a little bit of elbow grease can't fix :) (I'm the champ of fixing things with a bit of elbow grease, I just hope the jets are fine or at least not to badly clogged so that I may be able to clean it. I never really post about or the things I've brought back from the dead, because lets face it, I do it for me, not so people can oogle at my e-penis, let me just say that the case I own now looked like it was ready for the trashbin but I've revived it and it looks almost as hawt as brand new, and the fact that its a rare item as well :p, oh and it has a nice murder story attached to it, got it at a police auction, and lets just say there was still some blood stains hidden in nooks and cranies I had to clean out...)

Mind you I'm also known for over paying for less than perfect things because I feel like I have to give these abandoned parts a second chance :p That or I'm not good with money (considering I just got laid off, and I just spent close to $600 tonite probably indicates both....)

Huh? How can a flat IHS hurt things? Do tell.

Xtremesystems forum is referring to the fact the winning block at the Switech challenge was the Fuzion and partly because it is concaved to account for the dual/quad core IHS. Since you lapped yours, it could impact it's performance?

Just a thought.

Actually most IHS's are concave. The Fuzion base tends to be convex. Anyhow, I just created a nozzle jet for the Fuzion... here are some pics. This nozzle is FAR from ideal, just look at how crude it is. I made it from a 1/4" OD plastic barb... it is ~4mm ID. A proper nozzle would be a graduated cone with a ~6.5mm opening at the smallest point. WB performance is now near G5 leves with IHS... quite surprising. Flow rate are terrible with this particular nozzle. First test results below. Running test 2 as I type this.

nozzle1.jpg

nozzle2.jpg

nozzleintop1.jpg

topnonozzle.jpg

topnonozzle2.jpg

topnozzle4.jpg

basestraight.jpg

FuZion Mount 1
--------------
Temp Avg. 64.037
Ambient Avg 20.556
Avg DeltaT 43.481

FuZion Mount 2
--------------
Temp Avg. 64.811
Ambient Avg 21.875
Avg DeltaT 42.936

FuZion Mount 3
--------------
Avg Temp 64.981
Avg Ambient 22.222
Avg DeltaT 42.758

FuZion w/Nozzle Mount 1
--------------
Temp Avg. 60.680
Ambient Avg 20.509
Avg DeltaT 40.17

G5 Mount 1
--------------
Avg Core Temp 63.703
Avg Ambient 23.472
Avg DeltaT 40.231

G5 Mount 2
--------------
Avg Core Temp 59.292
Avg Ambient 21.000
Avg DeltaT 38.292

G5 Mount 3
--------------
Avg Core Temp 58.533
Avg Ambient 19.814
Avg DeltaT 40.231

the fuzion actually looks like it is made out of cast copper ?!
actually thought i would finally see some pictures of the new apogee , guess i still have to wait :(

Looks like Swiftech is hidding. Where the hell the results are ?
Apparently they don't want anything released (pics or results) until the 15th. My Apogee GT is in now and testing will start in about an hour. You will have to wait until Monday though...:mad:

Looks like Swiftech is hidding. Where the hell the results are ?

Results are @ xtremesystems forum in the news sub forum. Funny Swiftech did a "second" test with much different results, apparently.

Dtek FTW~!

Well, I went to the thread, waded through the first three pages and when I went to check the last their database crashed, niiiiiice.

Back