swiftech apex ultra

dtess17

2[H]4U
To the people that have this kit could you post your set up with idle and load temps.
Also if you have any pics that would be great too.

I'm trying to decide if i want to buy this full kit, or just build something myself.

For those that will tell me to go the DIY route, please post parts that will give me the very same or better temps at a lower price point. Right now i only plan on cooling my cpu.
Graphics cards are a maybe down the road.

also i will be using lower cfm fans to keep the noise to a bare min. keep that in mind.

oh not sure if it matter but i'll either be using a gigabyte 3d aurora or the aerocool masstige for a case.

I have the Masstige and it is a good case for water. Plenty of room for the dual 120 rad in the front, plus it mounts right to a adjustable fan bracket, no modding needed...

plywood99 said:
I have the Masstige and it is a good case for water. Plenty of room for the dual 120 rad in the front, plus it mounts right to a adjustable fan bracket, no modding needed...

Doh, I didn't think to use the front fan mount, I ziptied instead:)

Anyways, with the CPU only it ran about 39C loaded 24/7, fans at about 33% on the fan controller. Now with the 7800GT in the loop it runs about 41C all day and gets to about 44-45 while gaming. Running the fans at full speed, the temps are never over 40-41 even during gaming. I've been really happy with this kit except putting the tubing on is a bitch sometimes but I haven't had any leak problems either. I have no temp related problems even now in the summer.

Imitation said:

Anyways, with the CPU only it ran about 39C loaded 24/7, fans at about 33% on the fan controller. Now with the 7800GT in the loop it runs about 41C all day and gets to about 44-45 while gaming. Running the fans at full speed, the temps are never over 40-41 even during gaming. I've been really happy with this kit except putting the tubing on is a bitch sometimes but I haven't had any leak problems either. I have no temp related problems even now in the summer.

looks like we are going to have spretty similar rigs

dtess17 said:
looks like we are going to have spretty similar rigs

Yeah cept my 170 topped out at about 2.65 @1.55v, I didn't feel like pushing it harder. Not a GREAT chip, but who can complain about 600 free mhz?

Imitation said:
Yeah cept my 170 topped out at about 2.65 @1.55v, I didn't feel like pushing it harder. Not a GREAT chip, but who can complain about 600 free mhz?

oh any OC is a good OC. I was stuck at 2.6 on my other chip. This new one is a lot better.

just ordered a DFI mobo and once i get some WC the thing should shoot up even more.

now i just have to stop myself from being 2-4 of those dell 10000rpm drive...they look sweet

i just ordered the masstige

Imitation said:

did you use the stock fans with the set up?
how loud are they at full bore?

Imitation said:

Gotta love an fx60 killer for hundreds less.

Lol, three clocked dual core opties, three water coolers, three Masstiges, Must be some cool dudes on this site... :p

CRXican said:
get a Stacker, not the posser Mastige
no reason to spend the extra cash on it. The masstige is the same case with a window and upside down MB

i used the money saved to buy another 10,000rpm hard drive

plywood99 said:
Gotta love an fx60 killer for hundreds less.

Lol, three clocked dual core opties, three water coolers, three Masstiges, Must be some cool dudes on this site... :p

yeah great minds think alike...i think i might go for the apex by the end of the week...hopefully with the better cooling and the DFI board i'll hit 3.0ghz

dtess17 said:
yeah great minds think alike...i think i might go for the apex by the end of the week...hopefully with the better cooling and the DFI board i'll hit 3.0ghz

Yeah I used the stock fans. Full blast they can get pretty loud. I'm not sure what they're rated for in terms of CFM though. I'd expect 80ish. And if your opty hits 3ghz you'll be a lucky bastard and I'll be extremely jealous! I've thought about selling it and getting a new one but I'm too lazy to take it all apart again for maybe 2-300 more mhz.

I will also say that the mastige is the way to go over the coolview if your case sits on the floor because the coolview only has a air intake at the very bottom of the door which is basically blocked if it sits on carpet. So mine is sitting on some old textbooks :)

if i hit 3.0 i'm gonna do a dance.

this is already my second opty...if i fall short i might go for one more. I'm dead set on 3 it just seems like the right number ya know?

i guess the next question is where should i buy mine from.

jab tech has em fairly cheap...anyplace else?

I have the kit and well digging out what my temps used to be wouldnt be accurate anymore, it was like 32-34c full load chip in sig...my psu comes back today so ill get u some more up to date temps with my new 165. Tip for putting the tubing on if you are using non conductive fluid, hold a lighter under the end of the tubing for a while, rotating it around to get it warm and soft, slips over the barbs a hell of a lot easier. Otherwise, boil some water and dip the end in there to make things easier.

arnemetis said:
I have the kit and well digging out what my temps used to be wouldnt be accurate anymore, it was like 32-34c full load chip in sig...my psu comes back today so ill get u some more up to date temps with my new 165. Tip for putting the tubing on if you are using non conductive fluid, hold a lighter under the end of the tubing for a while, rotating it around to get it warm and soft, slips over the barbs a hell of a lot easier. Otherwise, boil some water and dip the end in there to make things easier.

yeah i heard the tubing can be a bitch, i was planning on the hot water idea
thanks for the reminder though

so i got my kit today.

first question for those with the kit, if you used the stock fans do you run them at 12v or did you use the 7v adapters?

what difference in temp did you get?
If people dedided to use other fans what did you get?

i don't want to go set this whole thing up just to change the fans after.

using the 7v would very likely bring the fans down nice and quiet with a minor increase in temps (maybe 1 or 2c). I personally use a fan controller for mine, and they dont even really bug me at 12. The fans use 3 pin headers, so does the 7v adapter. I can't imagine it very difficult to drop in the adpater or remove it once the system is set up, unless you have done a custom wiring job.
*edit* as an update, ive now got the opty 165 running [email protected](dual prime small ftt stable for 14 hours, I got impatient), and my mobo reports full load in the 45c range. I dont know if I trust this number, as all my previous processors read 2c difference between my water temp and my cpu temp (I have a temp probe in my resevoir), however the water temp has risen from the 29c range at load with the previous procs to 32c load.

i used them at 7 volts and still get good temps

use them at the full 12volts and you'll be deaf by the end of the day

i think i'll either get a fan controller or run these at 7v
i tried them on 12 today and i couldn't take it.

i just got a new case for this whole project and i'm not 100% thrilled. looks like i'll have to have my rad,pump, and res all crammed into the front. kinda sucks.

why not hang the rad off the back? Seperates the rad heat from the rest of the system, thus allowing a better overall system temp (theoretically), while giving you more room in your case.

the rad isn't even the problem. It works awesome up in front, i almost think this case was designed for a 2x120 rad, but the way the rest of the case is designed leaves me no good spot to stick my pump and res.

ok i don't think i like the set up of the masstige for my water cooling kit.
everything feels way to crammed up in the front. i guess i'm just a little OCD, but i don;t like the looks.

what cases are people using with the apex kit?
The only other case i had looked was the gigabyte 3d aurora which would most likely work fine...but i;m still open for suggestions.

I've got the Stacker with the Apex Ultra in it and the rad is standing in the front. With the drive gondola up in the rear of the case it tends to seem a bit roomier than the Masstage looks to be.

You'll need longer SATA cables for that setup though as the standard SATA cables seem to end up being pulled to taught.

yeah i remember you sent me that before. In the review you used the thermaltake though.

stacker FTW. Started life as the older Apex Extreme kit, added the MCW60 GPU block this weekend and along with my new tubing and T line from Petras all is well.

wetstacker.jpg

wetstacker2.jpg

dtess17 said:
yeah i remember you sent me that before. In the review you used the thermaltake though.

Themaltake Armor just like I told you in that other post.

Crap, I said Stacker, meant Armor....Gah!! Long day at work today!

madmat said:
Themaltake Armor just like I told you in that other post.

Crap, I said Stacker, meant Armor....Gah!! Long day at work today!

I've never really liked much about the thermaltake cases, but i looked into the armor again.
the model without the side windows isn't all that bad i guess. Seems like there would be a fair amount of room for everything. the one thing that bothers me is the 90mm fans. 92mm seems to be the standard, i can't seem to find 90's anywhere i normally shop. And i'm sure i'd want to replace those stock fans.

Other cases that are being considered are the gigabyte 3d aurora and the cooler master stacker 810.

They say 90mm but it's a misnomer, they're 92mm just like everyone elses.

Edit: Aside from the fugly orange blades the stock 92's are actually pretty damned quiet. Not that bad of a fan IMHO.

madmat said:
They say 90mm but it's a misnomer, they're 92mm just like everyone elses.

Edit: Aside from the fugly orange blades the stock 92's are actually pretty damned quiet. Not that bad of a fan IMHO.

Oh cool. If they are 92mm then it looks like i can just shove some nexus fans in there.
hell i'll be replacing all the stock fans. I'm a little bit of a quiet computer guy now.

anyways i've read that review something like 10 times now. That's why i decided to get the apex kit in the first place. very well done sir.

I'm gonna think about that case some more...i want to get this thing together sometime soon. I guess i have a few other projects to keep me going untill then though.

do you have AIM? I'll end up having a few more questions as i think about this case.

dtess17 said:
is there any reason your chose a t line rather then a res?
I had the micro res on my last setup and wanted to try a t line this time

dtess17 said:
do you like one better than the other?
Not sure yet. It did take a lot longer for the air to bleed out of the system with the T line but it really doesn't matter if you're leak testing like you should be.

IMO a res is really just for looks. Even when I get a windowed side panel I'll keep the T line.

interesting...i'm still a wicked WC noob. i guess i'll just stick with my res for now. Maybe down the road i'll try one out. Now if i could just pick the damn case i could start building everything.

I've bought the Ultra PLUS model of the kit today ... will be installing soon ...

I also bought two 120mm Nexus real silent fans to replace the original ones. They cost, but its worth it ...

Looking forward to my new temps ... hopefully I can fit it all in my P180 with the RAD on the back outside ...

Back