• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Swiftec Watercooling Discussion

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
1,053
A few questions. I am buying the best swiftec pump and i want to cool my Athlon XP-M at 2300mhz with 1.65, an x800xt AIW, nforce2 chipset, dual raptors, and two ide hard drives, can I do it?

If it possible to add a "booster" pump of equivelent or larger size or add a second res or something to keep the flow up. Also I want this system to be quiet. I was looking at the swiftec pump and it said 38DB? That sounds pretty loud. right now i have 4 30db case fans and two 38db hard drive coolers. Will it be much quieter on water?
 
Well, if you think about it, 2 38DB case fans is louder then 1 38db case fan right? So having 2 38DB pumps is the equivalency of 2 38db case fans but in a different tone.
 
Yes definitely it'll be cooler. With the watercooling, you could remove up to 2 case fans, as well as the CPU fan; depending on whether or not you're also cooling other parts, you could remove the GPU fan, and maybe the NB fan (if that's what you want). Don't bother WC'g the HDD's or even worse, the SB.
 
I am watercooling the drives to eliminate all fans and un needed/wanted noise.
 
Bump- Can I watercool my 4 hard drives, north bridge, cpu, gpu, all in one loop with the most powerful swiftec pump?
 
KrakenGuy said:
Well, if you think about it, 2 38DB case fans is louder then 1 38db case fan right? So having 2 38DB pumps is the equivalency of 2 38db case fans but in a different tone.

Is 2 38 dB fans really louder than 1 38 dB fan? If decibel measures the sound pressure at a given distance then if you had two 38 dB sound sources mounted at exactly the same distance from the measuring device (or ear) wouldn't they be exactly the same?

From my understanding of dB and audio, only the highest dB measurement counts.

A jet engine at 30 meters is about 150 dB. If you used two jet engines at equal distance it's not going to be any louder, it will just be stereo.

If you add a dozen 30dB fans to your case the overall dB will still only be 30dB. The fan mounted closest to you will *sound* louder since it's closer but the actual noise created by the case will remain constant at 30dB, not a proportionate value calculated by the number of sound sources.

If you can handle a 38dB pump, adding a second will not signifigantly increase the noise created by the case (until you factor in additional case harmonics, vibrations, etc).

Of course, I could be completely wrong, this is just how I understand dB measurements and volume.
 
northbridge and hard drive cooling kills flow and will worsen your cpu and gpu temps.
the swifty mcp 350 or 655 would both be fine depending on what tubing size you want to use
 
short answer - Yes you can cool all of those in one loop

long answer - It will be difficult and require good planning.

The first difficulty with all of that is the sheer amount of tubing you are going to be using, intelligent planning is a must. You will also need a pretty beefy radiator to handle the significant heat output, nothing less than a dual 120mm, triple being better if you want to keep it quiet. Run the four harddrives in parallel, this will greatly reduce the effect that it will have on killing the flow.

Also wait for the new Laing pumps to come in, the Swiftech MCP655 (DangerDen will be carrying the equivalent pump soon I believe). It has the performance of the MCP650 with the noise output of the MCP350 (basically silent). That would go a long way to reducing the noise. If you find that one pump still does not give you desired flow rates you can always add another pump.


EDIT : To people who try to talk him out of northbridge and HD cooling, save it. First of all this is an AXP system not an A64, there are benefits from chipset cooling. The HD coolers are because he wants to remove all the case fans from the system, he is interested in making the system silent. Rather than talk him out of certain things, advise him how to get his desired setup to work (entirely possible) with constructive suggestions.
 
BellaCroix said:
Is 2 38 dB fans really louder than 1 38 dB fan? If decibel measures the sound pressure at a given distance then if you had two 38 dB sound sources mounted at exactly the same distance from the measuring device (or ear) wouldn't they be exactly the same?

From my understanding of dB and audio, only the highest dB measurement counts.

A jet engine at 30 meters is about 150 dB. If you used two jet engines at equal distance it's not going to be any louder, it will just be stereo.

If you add a dozen 30dB fans to your case the overall dB will still only be 30dB. The fan mounted closest to you will *sound* louder since it's closer but the actual noise created by the case will remain constant at 30dB, not a proportionate value calculated by the number of sound sources.

If you can handle a 38dB pump, adding a second will not signifigantly increase the noise created by the case (until you factor in additional case harmonics, vibrations, etc).

Of course, I could be completely wrong, this is just how I understand dB measurements and volume.


Not true. A fan, or speaker for that matter, that emits 30db of noise, if doubled so that there are now two of them will produce 3 more db of sound. Example:
1 fan = 30db
2 fans = 33db
4 fans = 36db
8 fans = 39db

Your 2 jet engines at 30 meters would be 153db loud....
 
I stand corrected. Although I don't completely understand how that works.

I'll also add that the difference of only a few dB is considerable since dB actually measures in an exponential capacity (one of the few things I do truly know about dB after researching to build an auto sound system).
 
BellaCroix said:
I stand corrected. Although I don't completely understand how that works.

I'll also add that the difference of only a few dB is considerable since dB actually measures in an exponential capacity (one of the few things I do truly know about dB after researching to build an auto sound system).


Sound is really interesting. To appear twice as loud to the ear requires a ten fold increase in power. Say, going from 10 watts to 100 watts would sound twice as loud...
 
Erasmus354 said:
short answer - Yes you can cool all of those in one loop

long answer - It will be difficult and require good planning.

The first difficulty with all of that is the sheer amount of tubing you are going to be using, intelligent planning is a must. You will also need a pretty beefy radiator to handle the significant heat output, nothing less than a dual 120mm, triple being better if you want to keep it quiet. Run the four harddrives in parallel, this will greatly reduce the effect that it will have on killing the flow.

Also wait for the new Laing pumps to come in, the Swiftech MCP655 (DangerDen will be carrying the equivalent pump soon I believe). It has the performance of the MCP650 with the noise output of the MCP350 (basically silent). That would go a long way to reducing the noise. If you find that one pump still does not give you desired flow rates you can always add another pump.


EDIT : To people who try to talk him out of northbridge and HD cooling, save it. First of all this is an AXP system not an A64, there are benefits from chipset cooling. The HD coolers are because he wants to remove all the case fans from the system, he is interested in making the system silent. Rather than talk him out of certain things, advise him how to get his desired setup to work (entirely possible) with constructive suggestions.


THANK YOU VERY MUCH-Thats the most useful post I have gotten in this thread so far. You also understand where I am coming from. Thanks a lot. So about this "Planning" I have an Antec SX1040BII case with its default power supply of 400 watts. I am going to need to kick that up to power my current stuff and if i replace my two ide drives with bigger ones ie 400s later. Also I need enough power to add in as much as a BFG 6800GT. Room for an overclock would be nice. I am thinking Antec's 550w psu, i really like antec stuff, they treat me well.

If it would help I could post a pic of my rig and give you an idea of where stuff is.
 
Back
Top