Swapping RAID setup from one Asus mobo to another

WCES Ryan

Gawd
I'm in the preliminary stages of buying another PC. When I do, I was planning on taking some of the drives out of my current PC and putting them into the new one. Currently, 2 of the drives are in a RAID 0 array, using the onboard RAID. What are the chances that these drives will work fine if I just move them over to the new system? The current motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Premium, and the new one I am looking at is the Asus M2N-E. I believe the RAID controller on my current mobo is Silicon Image.

Both should have nVidia RAID on their nVidia southbridges but they may have SiL as addon controllers as well.
You should be able to transition an array from nVidia to nVidia or SiL to SiL but not across controller types i.e. SiL> nVidia or vice versa.

Do you have any idea if the M3A-H has Silicon Image RAID? Starting to consider that one as well.

doesn't look like it but are you sure that you are using the SIL controller for RAID & not the nVidia?
if you are, another potential method would be to use a SIL PCI or PCI-E RAID card with the same or similar controller.

Back