swapping out oem motherboard

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I am swapping out an OEM motherbaord with broken keyboard connecter. It is an HP spare I got from china. It is windows 7 oem. Will I have activation problems when I am done?

If it's the exact same motherboard, revision, and bios, and all the same components there should not be an issue.

If it dies not activate you may need to call the phone activation line. But it will work.

The worst that will happen is that you may need to do the phone activation. Your license will still work, and be legit.

As noted, if it's the same model motherboard (basically from the same specific machine configuration) it may activate without any issues if you're doing a clean installation - if you have the HP OEM Windows 7 installation media it shouldn't be an issue at all since it'll just pull the necessary info from the SLIC tables in the BIOS and be activated upon the installation itself. If for some reason it's not then contacting Microsoft should resolve the issue pretty easily.

well I ordered an Hp PN 641488-001 the one I got was 643668-001 at a glance it looks to have the same layout etc. When I bought from ebay it was sold to me under the part number I ordered hopefully it's compatible. I will be using the existing Cdrive ssd with the os and all updates are current... Charging the battery before I tear machine down. Looks like a cross my fingers deal.....

It could be as simple as a newer revision of your existing board. Either way, if it's compatible enough to fit in the same HP system, you should be fine. You aren't trying to do anything to circumvent Microsoft's licensing.

It's all up to Microsoft. It's an OEM license and it gets reactivated at their discretion. If the UEFI holds the license key you may be lucky.

If it's a Windows 7 OEM machine as in it has a Windows 7 COA sticker on it there's very little chance it's a UEFI based machine at this point (and it would still have a BIOS mode option fallback as well if it did have UEFI support, my Latitude E6420 is like that and it was shipped in 2012), possible yes but highly unlikely.

As I stated above, if it's an HP product, it'll have the necessary SLIC table information for Windows 7 embedded (2.1) and using actual HP Windows 7 installation media (which has the necessary xrm-ms digital certificate and the HP OEM Royalty Product Key embedded) will activate it upon installation like the other 300 million OEM machines still in operation with Windows 7.

You folks put way too much into these situations, seriously. :D

Well I did the swap last night and guess what? No problem just a couple of reinstall of drivers and all is well window still activated and I have my keyboard back. For a 2011 laptop it still runs everything however at low settings....

Well I did the swap last night and guess what? No problem just a couple of reinstall of drivers and all is well window still activated and I have my keyboard back. For a 2011 laptop it still runs everything however at low settings....

My lappy's an old Compaq that I expanded the ram on, fitted an SSD and swapped out the old Celeron processor for the fastest Core 2 available, does everything I need out of a laptop and more.

Well I had already upgraded to 16gb ram and two 500gb ssds (one in HDD caddy) in cd bay, CPU is 2630qm I7 with dynamic switching of intell hd 3000 to Radeon HD6770M w 1gb of ddr5...

In terms of drivers, Windows 10 craps all over Windows 7. Nine times out of ten Windows 10 downloads everything necessary, automatically, with no dramas whatsoever - It's further down the track regarding updates that Windows 10 gets it all wrong.

Windows 7 was/still is absolutely hopeless when it came to automatically finding and installing drivers.

I used Leshcat Labs custom driver which have the last Hd6000 series driver they have never let me down.... AS for Windows all my and my families were upgraded to 10 and then were All rolled back to 8.1 and 7 so I have a digital license to upgrade for free when I have to...

I used Leshcat Labs custom driver which have the last Hd6000 series driver they have never let me down.... AS for Windows all my and my families were upgraded to 10 and then were All rolled back to 8.1 and 7 so I have a digital license to upgrade for free when I have to...

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think that's how it works. You don't get to keep both keys indefinitely irregardless of whether you upgraded and then rolled back or not - You trade your Windows 7/8 keys for Windows 10, done and dusted. Once the free upgrade is over, that's it.

You've been able to use your Windows 7 key to upgrade to Windows 10 since the annoying 'free upgrade' prompts and manipulation ended last year. There's nothing to state things are going to remain that way once Microsoft puts the final nail in the coffin with the free upgrade as they're planning to do, whether you upgraded and rolled back or not - Bear in mind that article is from 2016.

If you want to upgrade to Windows 10, best to do it now.

Back