Swapping out Linux Partition Drive inside Buffalo NAS box - Uhh help?

dhahlen

[H]ard|Gawd
So a friend of mine wanted to swap out his 320gb drive for a larger 500gb drive.

I figure.. simple... pop open acronis or ghost - clone the drive, yada yada yada easy as pie.

FAIL!

Ok here is the dilemma - when I pop open acronis I see this.

Disk 1
Ext3: 167.xx GB
Swap File: 20mb
Linux: (forgot what went here, something like 200mb)
Linux Pri 0x83 No Partition 297gb

Disk2 (old drive)
Ext3: 19.xx MB
Swap File: 20mb
Linux: (forgot what went here, something like 200mb)
Linux Pri 0x83 No Partition 297gb

I need to expand Extended 3 onto the primary linux partition. However, you're dealing with primary/extended partitions.

I need to leave the 20mb of data on extended3. I figure I'd have to delete the partition, recreate two more partitions (a 50mb ext3, and a primary non-formatted partition with 167gb). I would then clone the data from the old back onto ext3, and then grow the 167gb back onto the primary partition. Just wonder if this is the way I should go about doing this.. or is there an easier way?

I probably confused the crap out of everyone....

Any help would be appreciated.

If you've got the original drive, why not just copy the small Linux partitions over first and see if it boots? Then worry about creating the large data partitions.

Not a bad idea.

'll copy over the two smaller partitions when I get home to see if it works. The drive hardware has it's own form of the linux os which should allow me to format the new drive

I can access it but it says the drive is unformatted (duh) - when I try to format it errors out. So.... it knows the drive is there but can't format it.. fun...

Maybe I should create another partition... heh

ugh...

Guess I need to install Linux on my usb thumb drive... fun fun fun

Probably the easiest way to do it, I was just being lazy....

Back