• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Swapping out a Dell 8100

MVSdinosaur

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 24, 2006
Messages
72
From searching the threads, I have recieved some conflicting info about swapping Dell 8100 hardware into a new case. My goal is eventually to have all new hardware, but I would like to use my current stock Dell motherboard (along with the RDRAM) and Radeon AGP video card for the time being. The PCU is also stock 1.4ghz Pentium (socket W?). So my question is if the stock motherboards that come with a Dell Dimension 8100 1.4 Ghz can be swapped into a brand new case. I've been told that Dell motherboards are made specifically for Dell cases. Thanks in advance.
 
Hah, I JUST gave away my dimension 8100 to a coworker LAST NIGHT, or I could've measured the mounting points on the board and compared them to a spare case here.

All I can tell you for sure is that the cooling system of an 8100 (that ugly green duct that is curved and vents out the back) obviously won't fit in a normal case, as it just uses a slide-and-lock method of attaching to the stock case.

The PSU, while not a standard ATX plug and all, matches standard ATX screw patterns IIRC as far as mounting in the case, so that should work.

As for the board, can't help ya with that one, sorry :(
 
Thanks - I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a new motherboard, CPU. memory, and video card. From what I have seen, PCI express is the video card new standard so that makes my AGP Radeon obsolete along with the RDRAM. :mad:
 
Back
Top