Swapping CPU on a P55 board

horrorshow

Lakewood Original
So I picked up an X3470 off Aliexpress. (4c/8t, gonna OC it to 3.8ish)

My question is this:

Can I simply take out the old cpu and pop in the new one? Without BIOS issues??

Like, would it just reset the CPU setting values? (or perhaps I can reset just those sections before the swap?)

Basically, if possible I'd prefer to avoid losing all my other BIOS settings. (ie a reset/battery pull typa deal)

I know I can take screenshots of everything but I'm sure you guys get what I'm "hoping" for....

Thanks as always when I post real-deal questions,
Horrorshow

Every will be reset to factory automatically in the BIOS. When you install the new cpu as soon as you power up the system a "new cpu detected press F1 to bios" message will appear.

Anyway none of the older settings would have the same effect on that newer cpu you have to start again with the overclocking process, but beyond that the swap should be just take off the old cpu and put the new one and done... it will be more troubling (just in certain cases) the cooler unistall and reinstall process than the cpu swap itself.

So everything will be reset, not just the CPU section stuff...

That's unfortunate.

Looks like I'll be taking a bunch of pics on my phone.

Oh well, no biggie really.

(cooler is a CM Hyper 212+, I'm assuming its a simple procedure compared to when I mounted the beast to the motherboard)

Figured I'd let you guys know.

The BIOS did NOT reset when swapping the CPU. (the only setting that changed was the multiplier - from 20x to 22x)

Anyways, I tried hitting 3.8Ghz with some settings that I had researched.... But one core kept failing in Prime95.

So I kept the exact same settings I had for my i5-750, with the only change being upping QPI voltage from AUTO to 1.21v.

So yeah, 3.6Ghz @ 1.23125v & 1.21v QPI, 180x20.

- Also, the Hyper 212+ was a b*tchhhh. Somehow when removing the heatsink, the mounting screws came loose-ish and sadly my case is 9 years old so it doesnt have a cpu mount cut-out in the back.

Soooooo, had to pull out EVERYTHING. That was fun.

Whatever, it turned back on. It's stable at 3.6Ghz. I'm happy!

HUZZAH

Thats actually as all always all my mobos reset when a new cpu has been detected, even when just reseating the same cpu7o.. weird, but good to see it went smooth for you and everything just worked right.

At 1.23v you still have way more headroom for more overlook.. try to push the puppy to 4.0ghz at least do it bring a even more noticeable upgrade over your older cpu.

Thats actually as all always all my mobos reset when a new cpu has been detected, even when just reseating the same cpu7o.. weird, but good to see it went smooth for you and everything just worked right.

At 1.23v you still have way more headroom for more overlook.. try to push the puppy to 4.0ghz at least do it bring a even more noticeable upgrade over your older cpu.

I'll prolly end up pushing it to 3.8-3.9Ghz when I have the time (prefer not to feed it too much V)

For now, the Xeon's HT and 980 Ti upgrade just showed me silky 60 fps on Monster Hunter World at the High preset.

So, mission accomplished!

Last edited:
Back