Swapping Cards With The Same Driver?

phorkz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 5, 2012
Messages
368
Hi Guys, it occurred to me that i have never gone from one card to another from the same company, i have always gone Nvidia-Amd-Nvidia-Amd.

So i am just wondering, say if i have a 780 TI, with the latest drivers, can i just switch it out to say, a Titan X, without doing anything software wise?

Same for AMD, can you go from an older card, to a newer one without touching drivers?

Obviously i am talking when both cards use the same drivers.

Dumb question i know, cheers
 
I've never had such a problem on Linux so I can't imagine it'd be an issue on Windows either. Like you say, it's the same driver.

Sometimes settings might have to be reset, especially if you use any of that third-party / AIB software.
 
It's not a problem, I've done as much swapping from 970 to 980 cards without issue. Basically what will happen is that the system will recognize that a new GPU is installed, search for drivers, find the ones you already have installed and boom, your card is ready to go.

That said, I still do a clean install anyway because I'm OCD like that. ;)
 
it is always best to uninstall/wipe/install drivers when putting in a different card. It shouldn't take long and it should avoid any headaches you may have
 
Hi Guys, it occurred to me that i have never gone from one card to another from the same company, i have always gone Nvidia-Amd-Nvidia-Amd.

So i am just wondering, say if i have a 780 TI, with the latest drivers, can i just switch it out to say, a Titan X, without doing anything software wise?

Yes, I have done it many times with NVIDIA drivers. You may have to reboot once or so to get it to pick up everything but it generally works fine.
 
Back
Top