Swap File

• Thread starter Deleted member 88301
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88301

Hi, all.

I know that this is an extremely old issue, but I'd like a new "take" on it.

Win 10 is on an SSD, Swap is on a spinner. I have a fixed size for the swap, 5GB. RAM is 24GB.

Full specs in sig. I'm just curious if anything can be tweaked for the better.

Thanks!

If anything, I think the swap file should be on the SSD just for the access time increase...

I've seen the best results when you keep the swap on the SSD, and leave it to auto.

With that much RAM, it won't really get used all that much as it is. Windows actually does a decent job with swap file use and caching, if you let it.

If anything, I think the swap file should be on the SSD just for the access time increase...

I was torn about that, old logic told me to have it on a separate drive.

People used to be worried that swap activity would prematurely wear out an SSD (since it does have limited write cycles).

SSDs have proven they can handle the activity easily, and then some, without premature wear.

Ok, will move swap to the boot SSD, but Auto, or fixed?

And are there any other tweaks to this system that you guys would recommend?

(Other than "Get a better computer.")

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, all.

Win 10 is on an SSD, Swap is on a spinner. I have a fixed size for the swap, 5GB. RAM is 24GB.

Thanks!
The page/swap should stay on SSD. Page File reads/writes are usually very small and quick, and what does an SSD excel at?

Just set it to auto.

This. How much of the 24GB are you actually using? You won't start encountering hard page faults until you're getting up their in physical memory usage %.

Put it on the SSD and let the OS handle it. I doubt it will ever exceed a few GB in size and will be sparingly used.

I rarely hit over 25% RAM usage. I'm taking your advice, and others' advice, putting swap on my SSD, and letting the OS handle it.

Thanks for the reply.

Have a great weekend!

Hi, all.

Thanks!

best tweak you can do about your page file is to not touch it at all. let windows do its job it alotter better than all those "tweaks" based on misconceptions out there.

Slightly different take on it... During a previous upgrade cycle I replaced my 80GB Intel 320 series SSD with a 128GB Samsung 840 PRO. I wanted to make the Samsung last as long as possible so I re-formatted the Intel SSD and left it in the system as a scratch drive. Moved the swap file, all TEMP folders, Plex indexes, etc over to the Intel. This was over four years ago and the Intel was already a couple years old when I did this. The Samsung is running great and the Intel has just recently moved off of 100% life remaining. I figured why beat up a new drive when I have this old one to smack around. Worked out great for me!

Back