Swannnns

How is the M200MK2 compare to the D1080MK2?

That can only truly be answered by someone with extensive time with both sets, which will be hard to come by.

Based purely on the specs, the M200MKII's are much better speakers. Doesn't hurt that I own them. :D

Been meaning to pickup the Swan M10's myself. Thanks for the link, just scooped a pair. :)

How is the M200MK2 compare to the D1080MK2?

Lol. Luckily I have both sets. I would have to say, the D1080 sounds much sweeter in the highs than the M200. The M200 sounds warmer and fuller. Also the M200 hits lower in the bass and seems to have better bass extension, but not THAT much better imo. Does that help?

Anyone know if the bass on the D1080s without a sub are as good as the M10s?

The "sub" in the M10's isn't really a "sub". Its more of just a midbass driver. Neither will deliver wall ratteling bass, but if it was me I would go with the D1080's.

Alai, do either of the Swans have a way to hook up to an aux sub you would get separately?

Alai, do either of the Swans have a way to hook up to an aux sub you would get separately?

You could just use a splitter. One end to the Swans and the other end into the input of the subwoofer.

No. 450's advice is the only way to get a sub connected from one RCA output set. What are you hooking them up to? Most mobo have 7.1 sound.

It seems like the crossover is taken care of by the sub. I have been talking with the fine people at HSU Research (very nice support) and from the -3db limits of my M7, they suggested what crossover setting to put on the STF-1 that I want to get soon.

I am in a similar dillema to you right now in trying to set up a decent system. Just a while back, I bought a HT Omega Striker when NE had a sale at $62. Now for speakers, I originally was eyeing the KRK rokit RP8 since the G1s were selling for 199 ea. But I realized they were too big for my workstation. I was then looking at 5" speakers like the Rokit RP5 (or maybe even 6 if it fit), M-Audio BX5a, or Audioengine A5 (Audioholics website give the A5 a thumbs up).

However, I have been so out of bass for a long time, I wanted to get some decent bass. So I decided to go backwards from the norm and get a sub first and then replace the desktops. For my needs (music right at the workstation) and my size room (10' x 10') I just wanted a small sub and clarity of sound was more important than heart pounding bass. My choices that I narrowed to were either the X sub or the STF 1 and from the reviews I decided on the STF 1 ( though the X sub looks very pretty). This sounded like the way I wanted to go since my YST M7 always sounded pretty good (I guess those spruce cones do work) with minimum tinny sound you usually hear in PC speakers, but it lacked bass.

Those Swans look very nice and I have been eyeing them for a long time too. For me though, I think even the M200MkII, which I really wanted to get, may be too big. Not sure. In another year when I replace the desktop speakers I may go with the Swan available at that time or possibly the RP 6 or A5. Audioholics forum seems to like the KRK line with the V series favored over the RP (obviously as they are more expensive) There is one poster (Wmax) in Audioholics who did a full spectrum analysis on a set of Rokit RP5 G1 and was very impressed with the results.

Edit: I cant seem to find the spectrum plots the poster showed but here is Wmax's conclusion of his analysis of the RP5s.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums...5&pid=569470&mode=threaded&start=#entry569470

Or I may go the amplifier and passive speaker route. Really not sure in the amp dept.

Reading up on a lot of forums (AV123 forum, Audioholic forum, AudioAsylum forum, here, etc) I am starting to find out there are a LOT of possibilities for making a nice audio setup, including one not yet mentioned here which is to build your own speakers using cabinet kits and a decent driver. Icedragon, I hope you find what you want to get and I would like to hear what you decide as I would learn a lot from your posts.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sure thing, man. I am really liking the thought of a receiver, sub, and two fronts, but jesus they are pricey. Waiting on the skyline guy for suggestions.

Being an owner of Swan M200MKII's aswell as a small powered sub, I would say if you are dead set on using a sub, go the bookshelf + receiver route. What you really want is something with a dedicated LFE out. It makes things about a million times easier. If the Swans where the type where each speaker has an amp inside of it, it would be easier, but the amp is only inside one of them, and you run a speakers cable between them. That being the case, if you wanted to use the speaker level inputs on the sub, you could only use the left channel.

Well, how exactly are you going to use the speaker level input (on the sub) with the right channel if the amp for the right channel is inside the speaker?

You can't.

Just to clarify, for music they have more then enough bass, they can seriously thump my desk. But I guess that is all relative.

If you are dead set on playing back music, get the Swans, if not, look elsewhere.

Hmm, yeah. It doesn't seem right to have a number of different independent and unmatched pieces working side by side. As for bass, I will play games (from gunshots to ambience), music (the gamut), movies (again), and would like it to be there. It sounds like a guy might want to trade the z5500s and some cash for an Onkyo SR-800. Snap it up after a hearing test?

Zenshi, ended up with the following:
Denon AVR 1705 $110
2x Polk RTi4 $44
Bic Acoustech $210
So ~$350 incl S&H, used off ebay, $200 out of pocket as I sold my z5500's for $160. Hope to get it all in the mail soon, and I feel bad for the USPS and UPS guys. Thanks all!

Wow! Nice! You're gonna love the sound... although, I'm not sure about the strength of the Denon amplification, but Denon is usually pretty good.

Btw, what's the BIC piece? Subwoofer?

SVS subs are super super nice though... but yeah, the BIC-H100 is pretty good for the price. Still, personally, I'm looking to drop $300-$500 on a subwoofer in the near future. Lol. Or just DIY one, but it will probably cost about the same.

Wow that sounds like a great system Icedragon. Tell us how it sounds once you hook it up. Post your setup on the Show your speaker and headphones thread.

Yeah I hear SVS subs are wonderful. That and Elemental Design subs (though I hear the ED subs look really ugly). I am still waiting for our tax refund so that I can get my sub. Then I finally will be able to have something to post on the "show your speaker thread" for the first time.

Edit: Wow, went and looked at the link to your sub. That is one pretty unit. looks like it can shake the pictures off walls.

Last edited:
Back