• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Swan d1080mkII

kkl1014

n00b
Joined
Aug 30, 2009
Messages
48
I am planning on getting a pair of these for my birthday.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-d1080mkii/products_id/113

There's a HiVi store near where I live, but if these are cheaper, I'll probably have them shipped from audio insider.

So questions

From any owners' experience, how are these speakers? What is the sound quality like compared to say a Logitech Z-3200 or other speakers in that price range?

Is there any possibility of getting a subwoofer later? If so, what subwoofer? I'm concerned about lack of low range since the Swan d1080mkII don't come with a subwoofer.

The price I'm willing to go for is $130 or less.
 
Swans are awesome. Heard both although I haven't done an A/B comparison.

You can add a sub to any system (I don't get this question when people ask it)... unless you want to hook up an iPod or something.
 
Last edited:
How is the low end on the Swan speakers? Is it even necessary to get a subwoofer? My primary use for them is music and nothing bass heavy.
 
Personally, I think subs are necessary on any bookshelf system. But the Swans hit a solid 80Hz - 100Hz or so. Anything below that will see a dip in dB.

Either way, the D1080MKII will provide a solid start to your audio system.
 
Totally love my swans! Check on eBay too. I got my from the same seller for $89.

As for the sub, I was originally thinking about getting one, and might still later to fill out the sound, but honestly these have good base. Either way, you won't regret the this set of speakers.
 
So I made the jump on the Swan D1080MkII. They should be arriving sometime this Wednesday. Thanks for all the advice.
 
If you can, push for the M200MKII's instead, in my experience, their low end extension is much better.
 
So how are they?

The speakers are great. I moved from Logitech x540s, so I'm losing out on the low end because of the lack of subwoofer, but mids are definitely much more prominent. Music sounds richer and fuller too. Well worth the $130 and look great on desks too.
 
How are the cables/cords and the speakers' durability? I'm thinking I MIGHT want these but I really prefer something that has a lot of convenience. That is, so that I'm not constrained by short power and input cords, like some speakers have. And so that I can pick them up and take them somewhere without standing a high risk of breaking them every time I do. How do they fare on those things?

Thanks!
 
How are the cables/cords and the speakers' durability? I'm thinking I MIGHT want these but I really prefer something that has a lot of convenience. That is, so that I'm not constrained by short power and input cords, like some speakers have. And so that I can pick them up and take them somewhere without standing a high risk of breaking them every time I do. How do they fare on those things?

Thanks!

The speakers appear to be very durable and quite hefty at around 10lbs per speaker. These definitely won't be falling all over your desk or moving around. But don't be surprised when they break if you drop them while moving them.

The included RCA to 3.5mm cable is very thin and flimsy, but this is to be expected of bundled speakers. I'm going to be replacing these with monoprice's premium line.

One thing I have mixed feelings for about these speakers is the proprietary cable connecting them. The pictures on the product site show the speakers connected through speaker wire. I probably have a newer model with a single thick 4 pin cable connecting it. Definitely more robust than speaker wire, but probably a pain to replace should something happen to it in the future.

And regarding the power cable, don't worry about the length of it. It's not permanently attached to the speaker nor is it proprietary. If it's too short, you can always buy one of longer length on monoprice.
 
Alright a couple more questions, if you can. What about the length of the cable connecting them? That's the other thing I used to get frustrated about; often I think it's too short so I can't place the speakers as far apart as I'd like to (like on opposite sides of my desk).

And also, how are the grilles? It shows on the website that metal grilles are included which you can choose to put on. Are they pretty solid?

Thanks!
 
Alright a couple more questions, if you can. What about the length of the cable connecting them? That's the other thing I used to get frustrated about; often I think it's too short so I can't place the speakers as far apart as I'd like to (like on opposite sides of my desk).

And also, how are the grilles? It shows on the website that metal grilles are included which you can choose to put on. Are they pretty solid?

Thanks!

Grilles are solid and the cable's 6'
 
Back
Top