SW:TOR Intro Cinematic

Epic opening, I loved those previous SWTOR trailers and this one was stunning and exciting as well.

Ya, I was kind of blown away myself, and its starting to make me excited about the game!

That movie rocks. GIves me high hope. But... I'm not touching MMO again, until the first free trial after launch.

Ya I downloaded that video yesterday as soon as they put it up on the SWTOR site. It was fucking awesome. Simply put. If your a fan of Star Wars there's no way you walk away from watching that NOT excited. That team that makes those CGI movies for TOR is amazingly good. I wish they would make a full fledged movie.

I'm pretty much burnt out on the whole wushu lightsaber duel thing.

Tired of watching cinematics which mean absolutely nothing. They need to divert the resources used for this crap and work on getting the game out.

Cool graphics for sure, but sad how much of the same it is :rolleyes:

Just the stereotypical StarWars characters, the Han Solo type, and beat up spaceship, the good Jedi sacrificing himself, the evil guy with red light saber, etc...It's been done before in the original trilogy, how about something original.

And this still gets my craw, this universe is supposed to be set 3,000 years before the movie time ? :eek: But everything looks almost exactly the same :rolleyes: 3,000 years ago we were in Roman times, completely different world back then compared to now. Or 3,000 years from now, in the future, we will be living on planets in far away solar systems, and all be Androids. But nothing changes in StarWars time ? To me that is lack of creativity, or at least admit this game is set maybe three hundred in the past at most.

Just the stereotypical StarWars characters, the Han Solo type, and beat up spaceship, the good Jedi sacrificing himself, the evil guy with red light saber, etc...It's been done before in the original trilogy, how about something original.

And this still gets my craw, this universe is supposed to be set 3,000 years before the movie time ? :eek: But everything looks almost exactly the same :rolleyes: 3,000 years ago we were in Roman times, completely different world back then compared to now. Or 3,000 years from now, in the future, we will be living on planets in far away solar systems, and all be Androids. But nothing changes in StarWars time ? To me that is lack of creativity, or at least admit this game is set maybe three hundred in the past at most.

Shrug, if you really look at the tech, there was very, very little evolution between the Roman Empire and the Age of Enlightenment. Almost all of our tech innovation has come in the past 250 years, as we learned to harness a new, more concentrated, source of energy (i.e. fossil fuels). Who is to say that the exponential technological development of the past 250 years is even remotely sustainable? And more to the point, why does it have to be infinitely sustainable? Wouldn't it make sense that eventually technology plateau. Once you've reached "magic energy" (Be it whatever runs Star Wars, or Zero Point Energy in a slightly more 'realistic' approach) then you'll eventually start collapsing to common functionality. Shark's haven't really evolved past their primary form in 200 million years, why should fake starships?

Shrug, if you really look at the tech, there was very, very little evolution between the Roman Empire and the Age of Enlightenment. Almost all of our tech innovation has come in the past 250 years, as we learned to harness a new, more concentrated, source of energy (i.e. fossil fuels). Who is to say that the exponential technological development of the past 250 years is even remotely sustainable? And more to the point, why does it have to be infinitely sustainable? Wouldn't it make sense that eventually technology plateau. Once you've reached "magic energy" (Be it whatever runs Star Wars, or Zero Point Energy in a slightly more 'realistic' approach) then you'll eventually start collapsing to common functionality. Shark's haven't really evolved past their primary form in 200 million years, why should fake starships?

Point well taken.

I wish the republic was wearing uniforms akin to KOTOR not Clone Tropper Armor whats the deal with that, that does bug me. Also where did the Sith get the fleet? Starforge blown up yes?

Eh, I don't like to make crossovers between Sci-Fi worlds and what science can actually do, but 3000 years is a HUGE amount of time, given the current rate of development and advancement of our own culture. There have been times where human development was at a standstill, but damn, look at how things went in the past 100 years. The atom wasn't a widely accepted or well-explained scientific theory and now look how much we take for granted this common understanding now.

Eh, I don't like to make crossovers between Sci-Fi worlds and what science can actually do, but 3000 years is a HUGE amount of time, given the current rate of development and advancement of our own culture. There have been times where human development was at a standstill, but damn, look at how things went in the past 100 years. The atom wasn't a widely accepted or well-explained scientific theory and now look how much we take for granted this common understanding now.

its accepted eventually tech will peak, this happens all the time. And in Star Wars Lore since about 20,000 BBY to present lore in 137 ABY tech is pretty much the same for 20,000 years lol

Indeed it will peak because of literally physical limitations. However, that ceiling is extremely high. We'd all be virtually immortal by the time tech peaks, given what's physically possible (with concepts already in the works). Star Wars lore may be in some kind of inter-stellar Dark Ages or something, I dunno o_o!

it is stagnant but the politicians make all the rules remember of course civilization will stagnate when we let the poloticians lead

One large Republic, no enemies, no wars = no need for development. Generally not much changes between Sith wars and Civil War. Just read the Golden Age of Sith comic and then you will see that there is not much moved in tech :) The largeness of the republic, corruption, and so on, made it hard tto create any impulse of development.

Palpatine changed things, because he needed stuff for war with Rebels... but even then, construction of Death Star took several years.

I wish the republic was wearing uniforms akin to KOTOR not Clone Tropper Armor whats the deal with that, that does bug me. Also where did the Sith get the fleet? Starforge blown up yes?

The troops looking like clone troopers bugged me, but so did the 'Star Destroyer'-looking Sith ships.

Like, the Sith being the manifestation of all evil in the universe, something remembered thousands of years after the fact - and, no doubt, told as stories to children to frighten them...

...and then, here comes the Grand Army of the Republic to defeat those evil separatists, and, oh, by the way, our ships totally look the Sith cruisers. Yeah, we're the good guys. Totally.

Uh-huh.

Tired of watching cinematics which mean absolutely nothing. They need to divert the resources used for this crap and work on getting the game out.

Blur studios makes the cinematics, not bioware. They haven't taken anyone away from working on swtor to work on this.

I now await the inevitable horde of idiots who will be posting "derp the game will be nothing like this", not realizing that everybody knows this and it doesn't stop us normal people from enjoying the trailer even if we don't end up liking the game.

The only constructive criticism I can offer is that Malgus's face looked a bit too "cartoonish" for my liking especially when compared to the other two trailers. I like how every trailer has at least one moment where one of the jedi/sith does something so ridiculous and over the top with their powers that it actually makes me laugh. In this trailer that was the parrying the killstrike with a lightsaber throw moment. That was so ridiculous I actually laughed.

Last edited:
Blur studios makes the cinematics, not bioware. They haven't taken anyone away from working on swtor to work on this.

I now await the inevitable horde of idiots who will be posting "derp the game will be nothing like this", not realizing that everybody knows this and it doesn't stop us normal people from enjoying the trailer even if we don't end up liking the game.

Blur needs to get a contract from GL to make a bonafide CGI SW movie. I think they do amazing work.

Blur needs to get a contract from GL to make a bonafide CGI SW movie. I think they do amazing work.

I find it amazing how one company seems to make nearly every major video game CGI trailer .

What? You don't actually think Star Wars happened? Well it did, it just happened so long ago and so far away, it might be hard to imagine.

The troops looking like clone troopers bugged me, but so did the 'Star Destroyer'-looking Sith ships.

Like, the Sith being the manifestation of all evil in the universe, something remembered thousands of years after the fact - and, no doubt, told as stories to children to frighten them...

...and then, here comes the Grand Army of the Republic to defeat those evil separatists, and, oh, by the way, our ships totally look the Sith cruisers. Yeah, we're the good guys. Totally.

Uh-huh.

Oh, and after visiting the site now, how about...

...why the frack does the 'Sith Empire' symbol look nearly *exactly* like the Galactic Empire and Galactic Republic symbols? (I mean, it made sense that the symbol of the Empire would look so much like the Republic's...the Empire *formed* out of the Republic, so they would try to have as much consistency as possible. Same type of ships, same uniforms, same soldier armor, similar symbol, etc. It makes no sense for the OLD Republic to have a 'look and feel' nothing at all like the Clone Wars-era Republic, and instead like the Civil War-era Rebellion...and instead for the SITH Empire to be the apparent inspiration for the style of the Clone Wars-era Republic.)

The reason they look like clone troops is because the they are all Galactic Empire troops

The triangular design of the space ships did bug me though, unless all interstellar space ships were made by Ford back in the day...

Ya I downloaded that video yesterday as soon as they put it up on the SWTOR site. It was fucking awesome. Simply put. If your a fan of Star Wars there's no way you walk away from watching that NOT excited. That team that makes those CGI movies for TOR is amazingly good. I wish they would make a full fledged movie.

I agree, and if you don't get excited then you simply arn't a Star Wars fan and should just walk away, simple as that.

The reason they look like clone troops is because the they are all Galactic Empire troops

The triangular design of the space ships did bug me though, unless all interstellar space ships were made by Ford back in the day...

Yeah, but the Galactic Republic/Empire troops *didn't* look like that before the Clone Wars. Note the uniforms worn by the crew on the Republic ship that took Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon to the Trade Federation ship in Episode 1, or the various guards in a number of places in that episode.

The Republic soldiers didn't start looking like what see here until the cloned Grand Army of the Republic, and part of that look due to their design being aided by the Mandalorian Jango Fett (which is why their appearance is so heavily inspired by the Mandalorian armor). All of that, obviously, hasn't happened yet.

Yeah, but the Galactic Republic/Empire troops *didn't* look like that before the Clone Wars. Note the uniforms worn by the crew on the Republic ship that took Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon to the Trade Federation ship in Episode 1, or the various guards in a number of places in that episode.

The Republic soldiers didn't start looking like what see here until the cloned Grand Army of the Republic, and part of that look due to their design being aided by the Mandalorian Jango Fett (which is why their appearance is so heavily inspired by the Mandalorian armor). All of that, obviously, hasn't happened yet.

I always just assumed those troops were more of a local/planetary militia and not the actual army of the republic. But I do see your point that these events are a few thousand years before the movies and all the stuff you just described

Well maybe the times during the movies they just had those designs as an homage to the old republic times? instead of the other way around like everyone keeps thinking. Anyone think of that?

Amazing CGI, cool movie, and I'm even more likely to buy now that I see they've introduced Indiana Jones into the Star Wars universe!

Well maybe the times during the movies they just had those designs as an homage to the old republic times? instead of the other way around like everyone keeps thinking. Anyone think of that?

Why would the prequel-era Republic use designs 'as a homage' to the SITH EMPIRE (the shape of their star cruisers, design of the national emblem, elements of the fighter craft, etc), their long-time sworn enemies?

That really doesn't make any kind of sense...

Looks badass.

I wonder how long its gonna be till games look and play like that.

Just the stereotypical StarWars characters, the Han Solo type, and beat up spaceship, the good Jedi sacrificing himself, the evil guy with red light saber, etc.

I'm pretty much burnt out on the whole wushu lightsaber duel thing.

Completely agree on both of these points. All I could think of was, "Yikes, this looks like Episodes 1 through 3". That said, I'm still very excited for this game.

This game is going to cause a lot of divorces, scoliosis, bad hygiene, and monitor glow tans.

And it's going to be awesome.

Fingers crossed! The cinematic was amazing, and the EA gameplay videos seem pretty good so far.

Somewhat skeptical about it all still though.

Back