• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Svs Pb10-isd

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,169
I came upon some money lately and was wondering if the $400 SVS PB10-ISD subwoofer would fit my less expensive receiver and speakers, or would I have to upgrade. I like the low frequency response of the the SVS PB10-ISD, having the power doesn't hurt either.

It will be used in a dorm, so insane volume levels aren't always possible (quality over quantity :)). The bass from my current sub has a big gap right where my chair is, and it's the most annoying thing in the world. I've moved it to 10 different positions, but nothing fills the void. I have to put it to higher levels to match with my music, this however makes the rest of my room have insanely high volume bass. My neighbors complain of their walls shaking when I can barely hear the bass.

I would also like to hear of any competition to the PB10, and if anyone knows where I can get one cheapest.
 
PB10 is a great little sub. One of the best in that price range. It will work with any receiver with a sub output connector as it is active (has its own amp). Just remember to setup the levels properly so you are not booming your neighbors because it hits a lot harder than say a klipsch pro media or logitech Z5500 sub.

Good competition is healthy and SVS has some in that price point, but personally you are not going to beat the PB10-ISD at the $400 price point. You need to go up around 600 to beat it amped.

Competition include:
Hsu STF-2
Adire Audio Rava II
 
I'm now thinking about getting the whole SBS-01 set that SVS is releasing. They have an 89db sensitivity, from reviews, my receiver had no problems powering 90db tower systems, so that shouldn't be a problem.

My main reason for considering the whole set is that my current speakers are ported and are right up to a wall. Moving them away from the wall produces a nicer sound, but is impossible to maintain. From the first review, the SBS-01 setup get's a great review, and comes in a closed design.

Considering that the 7.1 SBS-01 setup costs 999 to preorder, it's like geting the PB10-isd for 400.

Thoughts?

Also: I've decided on the PB10-isd sub 100%. I like deeper notes and accuracy over power
 
If the room's sonic signature is causing a dip in bass response, getting a new sub isn't going to fix the dip.
 
I'm pretty sure it has a lot more to do with the subwoofer. Certain bass frequencies hit hard, others are almost inaudible. I've read that placement of this sub is crucial, it did help a bit, but not to the degree i'm looking for..
 
Well not so fast. It does sound like you have a room acoustics issue.... but that being said, you can try and flush that out with your new equipment ;)

The SVS speaker line looks good. I can't comment on their acoustics, but Vodhanel knows a thing or 2 about speakers.

Anywho, I would also look at the following sets of speakers prior to taking the dive for the new SVS Set.

I will stick with the 5.1 set, because unless your room is pretty large (22x17 or greater) 7.1 just does not sound any better than a properly calibrated 5.1 system.

Anywho if I look at the SVS 5.1 system it comes out to 900 bones. so if I subtract the sub you are talking about good quality 5.0 for 500 bucks. ALso those speakers are made by someone else and badged SVS. The SVS guys may have designed them, but build them, that is not the case.

Good $500 5.0 sets from online manufacturers

HTD.com level III
AperionAudio Intimus 422 Series

If the SVS Speakers sound anywhere near as good as those 2 sets, I would be very enthused. I don't think they will touch the HTD Level 3's, but may come close the aperions.
 
Treyshadow said:
I will stick with the 5.1 set, because unless your room is pretty large (22x17 or greater) 7.1 just does not sound any better than a properly calibrated 5.1 system.

Anywho if I look at the SVS 5.1 system it comes out to 900 bones. so if I subtract the sub you are talking about good quality 5.0 for 500 bucks. ALso those speakers are made by someone else and badged SVS. The SVS guys may have designed them, but build them, that is not the case.

Good $500 5.0 sets from online manufacturers

HTD.com level III
AperionAudio Intimus 422 Series

If the SVS Speakers sound anywhere near as good as those 2 sets, I would be very enthused. I don't think they will touch the HTD Level 3's, but may come close the aperions.

You are right about 7.1 not bringing anything, but my room is setup in a way that my 5.1 setup isn't properly configured. The surround speakers are more in the backchannel position of 7.1 speakers.

The level 3's you mentioned cost more than 500 for a 5.0 set, more like 750 after buying the bookshelves and center separate. I wouldn't mind spending the extra dough if they're that much better. From what I've read though, the level 3s have a warm sound, like my HC6's do now. I'm not really sure I like the warm sound, and the flat of the SBS-01s might be more my taste. Would the fact that the SBS-01s were designed to integrate with the PB10 sub make much of a difference? For under $1000, what are the nicest sealed/front port speakers?
 
Back
Top