svchost.exe

MACH_OnE

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys, long time no see...

I tried manually searching for any threads that related to this but came up short.

Heres the problem: Every time i use my computer, somewhere along the way one of the "svchost.exe" files will start eating up a lot of my CPU(60-90%). I can end the process and I will be good for a while but then after 5 or 10 minutes it will just start back up...

I have used NortonAV, Ad-Aware, Spybot, Trendmicro, and others. I have also tried formatting. Nothing helps.

Also, I can't "Paste"... i can copy and cut but never paste...

could be a bit tricky. that typically runs in windows xp in the background, sometimes numerous cases at any given time. they shouldnt eat up so much of your cpu usage. The problem is that some viruses and spyware run and disguise themselves as that service. are all of your spyware removal tools and anti virus programs up to date? I know its a dumb question but you never know. did you run Hijack this?

in the RUN box type MSCONFIG

go to SERVICE, tick HIDE MICROSOFT SERVICES and look for POWER MANAGER, untick and then apply

then start windows in safe mode, go to C:\Windows and delete svchost.exe oh and if you update norton it will find your infected files

to start in safe mode, after POST screen fresss F8 and choose SAFE MODE

i just did all this 5 mins ago for the second time all week and i have ZoneAlarm 4 Pro and people still hack me!

woo... you're going to love this... wahtever virus i have closes msconfig and regedit a few seconds after they are opened.

my norton is updated btw and doesnt catch this one...

If you can open task manager, close things until it doesn't disappear anymore. The virus has to be open to close it. Usually. If task manager does the disappearing thing too, you can try renaming a copy of it (copy of taskmgr.exe) or trying to the process closed before it can make your window disappear.

Edit: Formatting should kill it definately. Are you sure something you install after the format isn't infected? Also, if you have broadband, don't connect to the internet until you have some sort of firewall in place.

Back