• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Suspiciously cheap HEC PSU...

da233

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 3, 2007
Messages
303
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339012

I'm shopping around for a relatively cheap (price wise) PSU and came across this one on newegg. 585w for $22 seems pretty insane to me... so insane that I'm worried it might be cheaply made and will damage my computer in the long run. Anyone here ever use an HEC PSU? How was it?

I'm either going to go with this one or a 430w Antec Earthwatts PSU, which costs $40 on newegg right now.
 
Its a piece of shit. You might as well wipe your ass with that money rather than buy that PSU.

Just stick with the Earthwatts. Much better PSU.
 
If it's too cheap, it's a piece of crap. You can apply that philosophy to pretty much all PSUs.

*This does not mean that an expensive unit is automatically good though. There are many expensive PSUs that are just as bad as these cheap crappy ones.
 
There's nothing wrong with HEC PSU. I think they're the OEM for thermaltake or something. Mine is working just fine and is as able as any other 750W PSU. That being said, it is a much more expensive PSU than the one you are looking at. Plus, I don't think yours is an actual HEC, the lable said it's an "Orion". If I were you, I would go with the earthwatt. Don't waste your money on cheap power supply.
 
There are plenty of good FSP / Sparkle 250 - 400w units in the $20 - $60 pricerange, but no way you're going to get a decent 500+w unit for that kind of money.

Need something cheap yet decent? Try this Antec Earthwatts 430w unit for only $39.99 shipped. This is a decent value end Seasonic platform and is pretty highly reguarded.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006
 
There's nothing wrong with HEC PSU. I think they're the OEM for thermaltake or something.

That was a long, long time ago. The one in the OP's link is an actual HEC, too. Orion is the product line.

585w for $22 seems pretty insane to me... so insane that I'm worried it might be cheaply made and will damage my computer in the long run.

What exactly is your computer?
 
That HEC is a very old design and not very efficient. It was a basic PSU when it was released. By today's standards it's a dinosaur. It had OK quality when it was released, but I would not get it nowdays.
 
Back
Top