• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Susgest a new case for me!

jrrandell

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
410
Iv been looking for a new case for over a year but cannot find anything that has the features I want. Im very pick in this department and that is why iv had trouble finding a new case.

Problem is I love my NZXT Lexa S but its too small and im tired of working in the cramped space.

Ideally my dream case would have:
Large side window with no fans mounted or holes for fans in it.
Front Door covering 5.25in bays
Bottom mounted PSU
Large front or buttom intake fan
Room for a least a double radiator in the top
Excellent cable managment features
MB cutaway in back
Toolless as possible
Full tower


Iv look all over the place and cannot find anything that meets my crazy wants. Maybe some hardocp user knows of something that will sate my want for a case.
 
Corsair 650D (mid tower but big) or Corsair 800D full tower.

has pretty much everything you mentioned except for a door covering drive bays. The 650D is an excellent case.
 
If you like NZXT, you could take a look at their new Switch 810 case. It seems to offer all you are looking for.
 
Antec P280 should be on your short list with that set of requirements. Also consider Lian Li's V1xxx/2xxx series, many of which have doors to cover the front bays, though they've lagged behind a bit with regard to cable management.
 
Corsair 650D (mid tower but big) or Corsair 800D full tower.

has pretty much everything you mentioned except for a door covering drive bays. The 650D is an excellent case.

I have always been looking at the 650D and 800D. Its just that lack of a door kills me, im really picky and want all my switches, control nobs and cd tray to be hidden :(

Although it does have everything else im looking for.


If you like NZXT, you could take a look at their new Switch 810 case. It seems to offer all you are looking for.

I have been looking at the Switch 810 case, when I first saw it I was like WOW :eek: and is also very temping.


Also looking at the NZXT Phantom with the windowed side panel, but the window is tiny.

The CM Haf-X is also nice, but I hate the big side fan, was thinking of getting that one and putting in a full window but that might hurt performance.
 
You may have to get yourself a separate windowed panel for whatever you buy since having a door and a window are different philosophies. One shows, the other hides.

Edit: I take it back. See if you can import one of these:

http://www.anidees.com/en/products.html

Wow I must say that is a very beautiful case, but its still only mid tower and wont be much bigger than my current Lexa S.

I think you may be right, I might have to get a windowless case with a door and mod it to have a window.
 
The CM Haf-X is also nice, but I hate the big side fan, was thinking of getting that one and putting in a full window but that might hurt performance.

I put in a Haf-932 side panel window in my Haf-x. Fits perfect and the window is fairly large. As for performance, i find the side panel fans do not do a whole lot to cool the video cards. Sometimes it makes it worse...
 
I put in a Haf-932 side panel window in my Haf-x. Fits perfect and the window is fairly large. As for performance, i find the side panel fans do not do a whole lot to cool the video cards. Sometimes it makes it worse...

Could you link a picture of how it looks? Also where did you get the Had-932 side panel?
 
Jrrandell...check out this dude's Haf-x build...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TLZUdO5GBg

I got the idea after seeing his build. It's by far the nicest and cleanest Haf-X build that I have seen. The Haf-X can look good or it can look super cheesy and ugly depending on what you do with it.

The Haf-932 side panel is from the "Black Edition" and you can purchase it from the Cooler Master store for around $35 plus shipping.
 
Personally, I would get the Cooler Master Cosmos II if you can afford it or the Corsair 800D (but I heard this case doesn't have good air flow).
 
Edit: I take it back. See if you can import one of these:

http://www.anidees.com/en/products.html

lol how the hell is this supposed to work?
feat-2.jpg


Photoshop fail.
 
^hahaha i just noticed that.

the silverstone TJ10 also has a door and a window. cable management is kind of a bitch though. no need to import though!
 
Fractal Design has a case due out in April, reviews are showing up, looks like what you want except for window.
 
Fractal Design has a case due out in April, reviews are showing up, looks like what you want except for window.

Links? Please and thank you :) Edit: Assume you mean the Define XL, very nice case and it seems modding in a window would be easy.

^hahaha i just noticed that.

the silverstone TJ10 also has a door and a window. cable management is kind of a bitch though. no need to import though!

Iv looked at that case and it is wicked but, cable managment seems poor and I dont like non-black interiors.


So far im liking the switch 810 the best. watched a bunch of reviews on it and I believe I would be able to put my fan controllers and swtiches behind the 5.25in bay covers. Like I would just be able to push them way past flush with the front cover and cover them up again so when I dont need them they are hidden. Can anyone confirm that is possible?

Edit again: Also I cannot find any canadian retailers that carry the switch 810 :( God damn newegg and not selling nzxt on their .ca site. If anyone knows a canadian retailer that carries the switch 810 please let me know.
 
Last edited:
Canada Computers NZXT Switch 810. Looks like it's about $15 more than at Newegg, but maybe that's in CAD?

Excellent thank you, they even have it in black :D I assume they are safe to buy from, have never used canada comupters.

Edit: Things usually cost about $20 more corssing the border. Newegg.com and Newegg.ca prices will sometime have that extra $20 on certain things.

Also just noticed they have no stock of the black case on that website :(
 
Is there a function for a front panel door that hides CD trays etc. or is it strictly a visual preference? I know they were really popular with compaq and HP cases about 10 years ago. I thought current cases were mainly designed for airflow these days. After owning my Antec 1200 for the past few years, It seems odd to see cases with only 1 or two front panel fans :p
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there a function for a front panel door that hides CD trays etc. or is it strictly a visual preference? I know they were really popular with compaq and HP cases about 10 years ago. I thought current cases were mainly designed for airflow these days. After owning my Antec 1200 for the past few years, It seems odd to see cases with only 1 or two front panel fans :p

The 900/1200 are also considered to be some of the worst designed cases ever from a cooling efficiency, dust avoidance, and cable management perspective. If it works for you, that's great, but I'd never recommend the 900 or 1200 to anyone.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have to clean the filters often on it, but I don't get any dust inside the case. Cable management is a bit of a pain when you've got all the bays full, a V10 cooler and 4 GPUs. I could use a larger case now, that's for sure, but for someone with a smaller CPU cooler and single GPU video cards it should work fine. It's not what OP is looking for, but I'd still recommend it to someone looking for a case in the low $100s.
 
For me its strictly visual preference. I just dont like my CD tray and fan controller sticking out :p

I really think im gonna go with the NZXT switch 810 when some black come in stock, after watching some video reviews I think my fan controller can be hidden behind one of the 5.25in cover plates if I just push it about 1/2in from flush with the front of the case.
 
Back
Top