Survey of 32" 1080p monitors

I didn't really want to make a different thread for this question. I have a 30" 1080i slimfit HDTV (2 years old), I'm considering a 37-40" 1080p. However I may have to settle for a 32-37" 720p tv due to economic factors.

Is the general opinion that a 30" tv at 1080i is as good as a 32" 720p? In other words should I just keep my 1080i (which I kind of hate, being that it is neither CRT nor LCD), or possibly go with a 32-40" LCD 720p?

What's your budget? What is the technology of the slimfit? 1080i is hard on the eyes when viewed close up. How much more is 1080p over 720p? I think you got something you hate because you went cheap. Don't make the same mistake again.

Actually, what kind of panel is the Toshiba Regza?

I'll assume TN...

I doubt any lcd tvs use TN panels, the viewing angles are too poor for tv use. The angles are usually listed as 178/178 which obviously isn't TN.

I didn't really want to make a different thread for this question. I have a 30" 1080i slimfit HDTV (2 years old), I'm considering a 37-40" 1080p. However I may have to settle for a 32-37" 720p tv due to economic factors.

Is the general opinion that a 30" tv at 1080i is as good as a 32" 720p? In other words should I just keep my 1080i (which I kind of hate, being that it is neither CRT nor LCD), or possibly go with a 32-40" LCD 720p?

What's a slimfit?....isn't it a slimmer CRT tube?

What's a slimfit?....isn't it a slimmer CRT tube?

9gaq2w.jpg

^ This is what I have. The Samsung 30" SlimFit 1080i HD(cough)TV. It will take a 720p signal and convert to 1080i, but it can't display 720p. It can on the other hand display a 480i and 480p image. There are lots of geometry and blurring issues with this TV. It also weights 100LBS. Purchased for $750 two years ago this June.

2v0gz9y.jpg

The only issues with 720p TVs is the quality of the 1080i processing. Some 720p sets take the individual fields of a 1080i signal (540 lines each) and just scale this to 720p. The picture looks a little softer in this case. Others try and reconstruct the original 1080p frame and downscale that to 720p, which looks a little sharper. Other than this, yes, I would say in general a 720p set will look as good (probably better) in terms of resolution than your CRT. There are other pluses and minuses as far as colors and contrast and geometry.

What's your budget? What is the technology of the slimfit? 1080i is hard on the eyes when viewed close up. How much more is 1080p over 720p? I think you got something you hate because you went cheap. Don't make the same mistake again.

Well, I don't want to spend over $1200. I notice Sears has a deal on their Panasonic 42" 720p HDTV for $899 (link below). I'm tempted, especially since a few folks have said that anything under 42" you can't tell between 720p and 1080p. Like you said, I don't want to make the same mistake and go all the way, meaning a fully HD 1080p set, at least 37". Samsung has an LCD 37" 1080p at $1200 on newegg. So...42" 720p ($900) or 37" 1080p ($1200)???

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775508000P?vName=Computers+&+Electronics

I'd be surprized if a LCD can outperform a HD CRT, especially as the 32in LCD's don't have the high end specs of the 40-52in sets.

Well, I don't want to spend over $1200. I notice Sears has a deal on their Panasonic 42" 720p HDTV for $899 (link below). I'm tempted, especially since a few folks have said that anything under 42" you can't tell between 720p and 1080p. Like you said, I don't want to make the same mistake and go all the way, meaning a fully HD 1080p set, at least 37". Samsung has an LCD 37" 1080p at $1200 on newegg. So...42" 720p ($900) or 37" 1080p ($1200)???

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775508000P?vName=Computers+&+Electronics

What size screen are you looking for? Are you going to use it primarily as a TV or PC monitor? You can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p easily if you are up close. If you are going to use it as a PC monitor you don't want 720p.

There are better deals then the one's your looking at. For 1080p you can get one of the monitors listed in the first post of this thread. If you want bigger look at Costco.

Hi Xr7... looks like they raised the prices back to $999, ugh. suppose I'll have to wait a bit now, but I did have two quick questions for you if you don't mind...

1. in 1:1 pixel map mode, could you try to send it 1280x1024 and 1024x768 and tell me what the screen does? My young daughter uses this computer and I was THINKING that I could have her user (Mac) have a different resolution, so she won't be sitting and staring at the huge bright screen. my hope is that it somehow centers the image and everything else is black.

2. when using HDMI for computer input, can you also run an audio wire and hear the speakers? i'm worried the "PC" audio input might only be for using VGA.

thanks in advance!

i got both a 32 hdtv crt sony & 32 lcd xbr4, both has its strengths. I take the lcd over crt anyday. Can use the lcd as a monitor, high resolution, 120hz effect. crt produce deep blacks, good performance for low res progressive videos. Best of all the LCD is portable, whereas the CRT sits there.

Hi Xr7... looks like they raised the prices back to $999, ugh. suppose I'll have to wait a bit now, but I did have two quick questions for you if you don't mind...

1. in 1:1 pixel map mode, could you try to send it 1280x1024 and 1024x768 and tell me what the screen does? My young daughter uses this computer and I was THINKING that I could have her user (Mac) have a different resolution, so she won't be sitting and staring at the huge bright screen. my hope is that it somehow centers the image and everything else is black.

2. when using HDMI for computer input, can you also run an audio wire and hear the speakers? i'm worried the "PC" audio input might only be for using VGA.

thanks in advance!

1280 x 1024 results in a square picture which is what i think you wanting.
As far as the audio i can't really say without a lot of work but i can say this, In the audio menu there is a spot that says PC audio on or off. I take this to mean it'll work though any input if you have that option turned on.

satelite is broadcasted at 720p

so for most people 1080p may be a way off by most people I mean the average viewer

If a 30" was enough for you at the time, you definitely made a good choice. A fine, final, example, of a superior technology -- CRT.

RIP.

Oh well, maybe you did get a bad one (or maybe focus and geometry could be adjusted.)

Or maybe you just want a bigger TV...

Bigger is certainly one thing LCDs and Plasma do well...(but I'd get a bigger enough one to make it count...)

...Is the general opinion that a 30" tv at 1080i is as good as a 32" 720p?...

No...you're comparing apples and oranges...

1080i is the native format of most HDTV programming. That your HDTV CRT can display it natively and easily is a good thing.

If you have a 30 or 32 inch TV and sit farther back from it, resolution differences would not be worth much. However, the far greater contrast potential and black level performance of the CRT would be worth a lot. (Unless your room is bright and the screen would get washed out by sunlight anyway...)

No, it is broadcast at a variety of resolutions.

I'm pretty sure more is broadcast in 1080i than 720p anyways. A 1080p TV that deinterlaces properly will be able to fully benefit from the higher resolution of 1080i compared to a 720p (or 768p) TV.

Technologic,

You seem to be missing the point of this thread. It's devoted to people hooking up a 1080p TV to their computers, which means the higher resolution of 1080p will most definitely make a difference. Also, sitting 2-3 feet away from the screen will make 1080p noticeable for anything: HD channels, PS3, XBOX360, Blu-Ray, etc. If you look at this chart, you'll see the general distances at which the human eye can resolve the higher resolution of 1080p compared to 720p. If you're trying to say that the average viewer who gets a 32" TV and watches it from 6+ feet away will get no benefit from 1080p, then I agree with you. However, the posters on this thread are hardly average viewers :D.

Any opinions on the newly available 32" Panasonic TC-32LZ800? It's a IPS panel and can be had for just over $900 according to pricegrabber: http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/plasma-lcd-televisions/m/67388076/search=TC32LZ800/st=query/ Seems like a hell of a deal. Panasonic Info page: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/VIERA-174-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TC-32LZ800_11002_7000000000000005702

Also does "Screen Coating (Filter)": "Clear Panel" mean it's a glossy screen? Some of Panasonic's LCD's say "AG Filter" which I would guess is a normal matte finish.

i got both a 32 hdtv crt sony & 32 lcd xbr4, both has its strengths. I take the lcd over crt anyday. Can use the lcd as a monitor, high resolution, 120hz effect. crt produce deep blacks, good performance for low res progressive videos. Best of all the LCD is portable, whereas the CRT sits there.

No offence, but most people appreciate that LCD's are portable, and as you've just mentioned, the CRT excels at night and with low res stuff, so I wouldn't buy a 32LCD hoping for dramatic PQ differences between HQ CRT.

However, most people want to connect a 32 to their PC, maybe to use as a primary.....me, I think I'l keep my 26 as a primary{for now}, and add a 37-40 shortly.

No offence, but most people appreciate that LCD's are portable, and as you've just mentioned, the CRT excels at night and with low res stuff, so I wouldn't buy a 32LCD hoping for dramatic PQ differences between HQ CRT.

However, most people want to connect a 32 to their PC, maybe to use as a primary.....me, I think I'l keep my 26 as a primary{for now}, and add a 37-40 shortly.

the 32 crt is 4:3 sceen while the lcd is a 16:9 screen. using the crt tv as a monitor is impossible, Cant read the text. It is like day and night in PQ between the two for pc usage. As for hdtv content, For video content like DVD, 720p or even 1080i. Id admit it all looks close to the same. The advantage for the lcd is pc usage which provide a much sharper & finer PQ. I plan to get the 46/52" lcd which is the only way to appriciate 1080p. 1080p/720p on a 32 or lower all looks the same. 4:3 aspect ratio for the crt is good to have though.

I think the SlimFit TV was actually a 30" 16:9 screen...

Great TV, awful as a computer monitor...(1080i, 800 pixels across...)

But for those wishing to replace their old small standard TV located at a traditional seating distance with an HDTV, it was a steal...

EDIT: Guess you folks aren't taking about the SlimFit though at this point... :)

As for Dogmapog reply, I take no offense. Its all apart of my entertainment setup. My setup consist of 3 TVs in one room. The 3rd is a 36" sony trinitron crt. Call me crazy but it works for me. My other room consist of 20+ & counting computers with multiple monitors. Cant wait to post my pic of my setup once it complete.

I saw some slimfit at the stores, they look great. Best 3:2 pulldown hdtv crt I ever seen, But they're gone now. Sad to see CRTs disappearing.

By the way the 32" XBR6 can't do 120hz, despite initial claims to the contrary.

I got the 32xbr4 & it does do 120hz, I witness this with my own eyes. It disengages during high speed scenes which I be was really disappointed with. Other than that its a great monitor. Now I have an excuse to get a big tv with 120hz that doesnt disengage like the samsung 650 series. Im really disappoint knowing there is no tv out there supports 120hz in pc mode which would be awesome for gaming. Hope someone can point me to a TV that supports this.

I got the 32xbr4 & it does do 120hz, I witness this with my own eyes. It disengages during high speed scenes which I be was really disappointed with. Other than that its a great monitor. Now I have an excuse to get a big tv with 120hz that doesnt disengage like the samsung 650 series. Im really disappoint knowing there is no tv out there supports 120hz in pc mode which would be awesome for gaming. Hope someone can point me to a TV that supports this.

Me too.

Anyone who finds one, please post :D

I got Costco's coupon book. It says July 14 Sceptre at Costco $650.
Of course it is a 32" 1080p. I don't have any other info about this set. Its not listed on Sceptre's web site.

I would go in costco and look at it visually cause they got tons of TV to compare too. Get a model number, In that price range im sure you can find a better monitor. Their are a few nice monitors from walmart at that price range. I always found costco selling lower quality monitors at the price of mid quality monitors on the net.

This is true and I can attest because I have one. Even though that might be a disappointment (to me as well) I'll go on record to say that this is still a spectacular unit. It's now my primary monitor.

I got Costco's coupon book. It says July 14 Sceptre at Costco $650.
Of course it is a 32" 1080p. I don't have any other info about this set. Its not listed on Sceptre's web site.

Can you post a picture of this please? I havent gotten my costco coupon book yet but im very curious!

absurd. Are you implying everyone with 24" inch monitors are wasting their money?

absurd. Are you implying everyone with 24" inch monitors are wasting their money?

No no. Im saying if you buy a small monitor with hirez solely for HDTV, specifically 1080p, you will be disappointed because their is not a big difference in quality from lower rez format.

As for desktop performance, I would get as high resolution as possible. 1920x1080 in 24" lcds are tempting for me as well because it would offer me greater workspace but I wouldnt use it playing hi def content if I had other options. Im running 2 samung 19"s w/ 1440x900 space and I feel quite confined when it comes to running multiple apps. After seeing everyones LCDs setup, I say everyone who waste their money on tons of LCDs monitors have the best setups, at least it looks cool the the pictures. Im afraid to post my picture because it looks tiny compare to theirs. I plan to waste money on 2 24" monitors just to look cool like everyone who post their pics. Now thats a good reason alone to buy 24" LCDs!

Thanks dancar for the links. Ill keep an open mind. I get more fullfillment of the movie from 1080p on a bigger screen. Just wondering something have you been to the theatre with a digital DLP screen as oppose to the regular screens. Its a huge screen and im sitting 100 feet away. I notice a huge difference but thats just me.

Back