surveillance system recommendations?

jkw

Gawd
due to increased crime in my neighborhood, i'm going to upgrade my current 4 camera low end system. i currently have a Lorex system that has served me very well for about 7 yrs, but i want to upgrade to a 6 camera system, and want higher resolution, and a DVR with non-proprietary export format (damn Samsung DVR). so what you would recommend?

my requirements:

* cameras - 6 cameras, all weatherproof, excellent night vision, 50+ ft night time range, one way audio, high resolution (480+ lines?)
* monitor - ability to display 4+2 or 6 cameras at once, 14-21" size
* DVR - ability to upgrade HDD, ability to export video captures in non-proprietary format
* under $2k total (cost of parts only as I will install myself)

system will be run 24/7, and cameras will need to function in -20 to 120°F, and with high humidity.

thanks!

Something like this comes to mind if you add a few cameras: http://www.swann.com.au/s/products/view/?product=601
Few hard drives will go down to -20°F, so you may have problems with that. The only ones that will do that off the top of my head are the Seagate EE25 series drives. Problem is, those aren't 3.5" and only come in relatively small capacities (compared to 3.5" drives), not to mention they are expensive (you're looking at nearly $200 for an 80gb drive). They would work in most DVRs, but you would need to dump all the video probably on a weekly basis. That would still seem to fit your budget though, so I guess it would work.

thanks for the input. checking it out now.

i changed my original post to clarify that only the cameras need to operate in extreme conditions. the DVR/HDD will be in climate-controlled room.

also should mention i just use a Netviewer program to look at the camera over the web.

I used a card from edigitaldeals.com coupled with cameras from different vendors for their indoor and outdoor needs. The card and software were pretty decent for the cost and the software is easy enough to use.

This software always seemed nice: http://www.zoneminder.com/

It supports IP cameras but I take it you want to use normal CCTV gear? There should be some capture cards for that, probably they run through V4L

Back