Surround Sound TV speakers

pazhman

[H]ard|Gawd
How exactly can I hook up speakers from a TV system to my PC? Or Boombox speakers?

If you are trying to use some existing speakers to play sound from your computer, you will need an amplifier.

The computer outputs line level (or very minimally amplified) sound. Most computer "speakers" actually have a small amplifier built in. That's why they require power.

A true speaker, such as you are talking about, are simply un-powered speakers that require an amplifier to drive them.

So I have a surround sound speakers and if I want to hook up to my PC I have to buy a amplifier and what else?

What exactly do you mean by "surround sound speakers"? Do you have two, four, five? What kind? In a basic stereo setup, you have a stereo source (your computer), an amplifier, and two speakers wired to the amplifier. So technically you'd need an amplifier, speaker wire, and a cable to connect the amplifier to the source.

There is no particular difference in a speaker that makes it a "surround sound" speaker, just the way its hooked up. There are many different sizes, power ratings etc, and some that are designed to be a part of a surround sound system, but what really makes them surround sound is the amplifier. It takes a signal input (from computer, DVD whatever) and sends it at the appropriate levels to the appropriate speaker(s).

Please tell me more about what you have and what exactly you want to use it for.

... So you have 5 speakers and subwoofer? I'm assuming thats what you mean by 5.1.

You need an amplifier that supports four surround speakers, a center speaker and subwoofer. There are different types of subwoofers; powered and unpowered. Many amplifiers will have both types of outputs.

There are a million choices out there, so without more detailed info I can't really give you any more information as to exactly what you need.

Yeah, some more information is really needed. Do you currently have these speakers hooked up to anything? Are they currently being used by your TV or just lying around?

You really need to help us out here if you want our help. You're not really answering the questions I'm asking. Let me make this as blunt as possible:

How many speakers do you have?
What brand are they?
What does the connection on the back of them look like?

What do you want to use these for?
Do you want surround sound from your computer, or just stereo?
Do you want surround sound from some other device?

May I just say that the OP must have something good to smoke lol.

Is this a joke or are you really this ignorant about stereo?

I am friendly no worries but really lol.

I told you guys they are 5.1 speakers with subwoofer. Sony. Home theater.

Ok, that's still rather unhelpful... If you actually want our help, amenthes laid out some good questions. Help us to help you.

I just wanted to know how to plug 5.1 home theater speakers with reciever to a pc.

he has a reciver he just needs those adapter cables to get 5.1 out of a soundcard.

Back