Surround Sound&PC?

Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
935
Hey guys,
I need some help with connecting my pc to surround sound. My pc has 7.1 surround but they are the seperate colored inputs. This would be fine if i was connecting pc speakers but im not. I want to use this for sound http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7728729&st=htddw700&type=product&id=1140391964586 The receiver has standard rca red and white inputs on the back. Is there a cable or somthing that has the different colored connectors for pc on one side and the rca on the other? The receiver also has digital inputs but my pc does not.
 
Yea I have one of those. But if i connect that to the green output on the computer will i recieve all 5 channels of audio from the surround setup?
 
Are you looking for surround in games? or movies?

For games, your receiver needs to have discrete surround inputs. So you'd hook up 3 sets of minijack->RCA cables. Looking at the Best buy ad, it doesn't look like that receiver does it.

For pre-encoded surround (as in dvds), you can just hook up the digital connection to get your surround to work.
 
If you want surround for games your receiver needs to have an input for each channel. On mine I think they're labeled L,R,C,SR,SL, and SW. If you don't have that (and from the ad it looks like you may not, its a pretty cheap receiver) then you're screwed unless you get a new receiver or one of the sound cards that can encode surround info on the fly.
 
Back
Top