• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

surround sound help

enhanced08

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
123
Hey guys, Im having a problem here with my new HDTV and bluray player I got for xmas. Basically what I want to know is if it is possible to take a movie that has 5.1 surround sound and send that audio into a surround sound system via 2 channel (red/white) left/right RCA cables and have the surround sound work. Im my mind this will not work but I want to know for sure.

Story/details: I got a new HDTV and a new (my first) Bluray player for xmas. Before this I had a DVD player/surround sound system combo.Now I want to hook the Bluray up to the surround sound but I dont think I can do this via the red/white left/right RCA cables. Both the DVD and BR players have HDMI out but neither has HDMI in so I cant use that either. The BR has an optical out, will this output the 5.1? Im not sure if the DVD has optical in, however. Does the optical in connector look the same as the optical out, that square box lookin thing?
 
You are correct you cannot do 5.1 surround sound over L/R RCA cables (Stereo).

You are unlikely to be able to send 5.1 HD audio (DTS-MA/Dolby HD) from a blu-ray disk to your old HTIB setup.
Optical output can only do compressed 5.1 audio like regular DTS or Dolby Digital. It does not have the bandwidth to do Dolby HD/DTS-MA. You basically need a receiver with HDMI input. Its possibly but very unlikely that you have a blu-ray player with 5.1 analog outputs and a surround sound system that takes 5.1 analog inputs.

Edit:
You may want to try this to see if it works to get 5.1 audio to your receiver over optical.
http://www.highdefforum.com/752474-post7.html
 
Last edited:
Ok, I thought so. You said I need a receiver with HDMI inputs, do you mean a surround sound unit? Wouldnt this also need an HDMI out as well? This way the bluray would connect to the surround sound and the surround sound to the tv, all via HDMI? Do you know of a unit off the top of your head capable of this without spending a ton of money?
 
If by surround sound unit you mean a receiver. You need a "device" that take HDMI input and decodes the surround sound encoding (DTS-MA/DD-HD) and outputs the sound over analog outputs while passing through the video to your TV (HDMI output). An A/V receiver is a device that does this.
 
Your talkin over my head a little here, sorry. Would this be just an addition to what I have or a replacement for the DVD player/surround combo?

I hate to complain about something that was given to me as a gift, but I really wish I would have gotten a bluray player/surround sound combo like my DVD player.
 
It would help if you posted a model number for your old DVD/Home Theater in a box.

Do your speakers use bare wire connections or do they have a plug type of connector?
Do your speakers plug directly into the DVD player?
 
Last edited:
The DVD is a Phillips HTS3565D DVD Home Theater System
The BluRay is a Panasonic DMP-BD65

The DVD speakers use a special plug and plug directly into the DVD player.

Here are some pics of the two. Bluray on top, DVD on bottom.

IMG_2168.jpg


IMG_2169.jpg
 
If by surround sound unit you mean a receiver. You need a "device" that take HDMI input and decodes the surround sound encoding (DTS-MA/DD-HD) and outputs the sound over analog outputs while passing through the video to your TV (HDMI output). An A/V receiver is a device that does this.

That is correct. You need a receiver if you want surround from that bluray. Sorry. No work arounds that I know of.
 
Yeah there is no really cheap way out of this one.

A decent A/V will cost $200 and you could rewire the speaker connectors to work, but honestly the speakers probably aren't worth keeping. A decent 5.1 speaker set will probably set you back $400-600.

However, if you're happy with these all in one home theater systems, you can get an equivalent blu-ray one for like $250-300. Return or sell the BR player you received.
 
Back
Top