Surround sound headphones

Yeastwood

n00b
I made a post a while ago asking about alternatives to the Medusa 5.1 headset. I've been doing a ton of Google'ing and it seems hard to find a good replacement as most stuff out there now is USB or discontinued. So, can anyone recommend a headset that has good spatial separation?

Things to be aware of before posting!:
* Budget = ~ $100 or less
* No USB!
* Would prefer 5.1 over quality stereo just for the fact that I've tried stereo w/ CMS3D on in the past, and it just doesn't compare w/ actual front and rear channel separation.
* Looking at the Zalman ZM-RS6F (non-USB). Any users who've owned both the Zalman's and Medusa's wish to share their 2 cents, please do so!

Okay, so since this isn't getting any play - and I DO realize that others are in the same boat - how about something else. Have there ever been any "converts": people who have sworn by 5.1's (Medusa, Zalman, Tritton, etc) converted to stereo cans and thought it was actually better?

Another thing to note: I care more about directional positioning over sound quality since I'll be using these primarily for gaming (and maybe some movies).

I have used the Zalman before they are okay. Its not the same as a true surround sound setup. There really isn't enough speaker separation to get good surround sound. They just don't work well enough to justify the loss of stereo quality.

I also heard the Zalman's lack the Bass vibration feature the ones I currently have (discontinued Kinyo Ky-100 5.1 - similar to the Medusa's). Very cool feature.

It's tough finding a decent replacement now w/ everything being discontinued and/or to USB. Anymore replies??

What stereo headphones have you tried? There's a huge difference in soundstage depending on what headphones are used. Things like the level of detail, distance of the driver from your ear, and even the backing behind the driver make a huge difference in where you perceive sounds to be coming from.

You'd be surprised at how details can make a difference - with inferior headphones, you'll miss all the sonic clues that tell your brain that a sound is coming from behind or in front of you - side to side is of course indicated by time delays and is thus relatively easy for headphones to replicate (although helped immensely by ambient reflections from the environment).

@shadow: Yes I have tried those Turtle Beaches. Unfortunately, these are the very types of "surround sound" cans that give true 5.1 headsets a bad name. There was no spatial separation. Worse, b/c the amp was USB powered, it caused electrical, high frequency pitch sounds if the volume was not turned up all the way. Also the bass was WAAAAAY too high, even on the first setting. Absolutely hated that thing.

@Ben: I've tried some Panasonics (forget the model #) and just was no where near as good as the Kinyo/Medusa's for 3D positioning (not just front and back but top/bottom as well). I've also heard the same from a couple of ppl who've owned both Medusa's and Sennheiser's: Just not up to snuff for 3D.

But please, at this moment, I'm willing to hear any advice. Any suggestions? Another thing I hate is having to buy an amp. You spend $100 on Sennheiser's and another, what, $50 for an amp? $150+ tax, or shipping right there.

I used to have a pair of the Zalman surround sound phones. I can notice surround sound from say a 5.1 speaker system, but failed to recognize it with the Zalman. IMO its all a gimmick for headphones. Investing in surround sound headphones is on about the same level as Fatal1ty "Gamer Gear".

Just get yourself a good pair of NON surround cans.

But please, at this moment, I'm willing to hear any advice. Any suggestions? Another thing I hate is having to buy an amp. You spend $100 on Sennheiser's and another, what, $50 for an amp? $150+ tax, or shipping right there.

Sennheisers in that price range probably don't need an amp - the HD555 ($95) is fine without an amp, as are the Audio Technica AD-700s ($100).

@shadow: Yes I have tried those Turtle Beaches. Unfortunately, these are the very types of "surround sound" cans that give true 5.1 headsets a bad name. There was no spatial separation. Worse, b/c the amp was USB powered, it caused electrical, high frequency pitch sounds if the volume was not turned up all the way. Also the bass was WAAAAAY too high, even on the first setting. Absolutely hated that thing.

@Ben: I've tried some Panasonics (forget the model #) and just was no where near as good as the Kinyo/Medusa's for 3D positioning (not just front and back but top/bottom as well). I've also heard the same from a couple of ppl who've owned both Medusa's and Sennheiser's: Just not up to snuff for 3D.

Okay, so you haven't heard any good headphones, and your friends probably haven't either (depending on the Sennheiser model).

You don't always need an amp - I am actually in the camp that says they're overrated much of the time. My Sennheiser HD 600s usually run out of my Nuforce uDAC, but they'll run okay and to decent volumes even off my Clip. I've spent time A/B'ing my uDAC and an $800 Beyerdynamic A1 amp and I couldn't consistently identify any differences.

Now, my Thinkpad won't do the HD 600 justice, but even a Creative sound card should be at least capable of running them. Lesser headphones will do fine.

The recommendation for the Senn HD 555 or AT AD-700 is a good one; another good pair for $100 is the AKG K240. I would normally recommend the Alessandro MS1i at this price point, but the soundstage isn't nearly as deep as those other headphones.

Again, games today take headphone use into consideration (usually there's a "headphones" option in the sound menu) and change the sounds to mimic environmental reflections and how the waves bounce from your pinna (outer ear) to your ear canal. You won't have a chance at hearing those cues with shitty "surround" or stereo headphones.

I can't tell you how I'm amazed when I close my eyes when using my HD 600s - they're not at the same level as my speakers (no headphones, period, are), but considering what they are I'm impressed. Sounds DO seem as if they're coming from behind, in front, or either side.

Basically I think you're caught up the hype of what you wish surround sound headphones could be (but aren't), and I'm trying to save you a lot of trouble and/or wasting money on inferior products.

Back