Surpassed bandwidth cap... anyone else?

Phantum

[H]ard|Gawd
So I went over my Comcast monthly bandwidth cap, anyone else have experience in this area? Consequences, course of action, comments, suggestions? Mostly just sharing with you...

screenshot20120523at949.png

from what i understand its loosely enforced. I think they're raising their limit soon.

260Gb in a month, what on earth did you do?

Stream Netflix every day, all day? Load up your terra-byte NAS with those extra large, fully featured game "demos"? :p

Yes.. Many many times...

500GB, 600GB, 800GB, and 900GB in a row... nothing happened *yet*...

edit: last year...

Last edited:
We go over every month and have for the past 2 years by about 100gb and they haven't done anything. I think they realize that their BS about only the top 1% or whatever will use more than that is a lie. We have 10 people in our house and pretty much its netflix that uses it all.

I did over 1TB/month for many months and I was finally physically disconnected from their network without warning (I saw the comcast guy do it while I was home for lunch), ever. As in I was never notified to stop or take it easy. They basically ban you from their network and won't even take your calls any longer. They funnel you to an answering machine that nobody checks or calls you back on. It's pretty classy. Good thing I don't live in an area with 1 ISP. I was developing a data backup app and I had a handful of test users on it. I would have happily gone to a biz connection, but they wouldn't let me. I wanted to give them more money, but they refused to take it. Bottom line is they only want people who barely use their connections. They are not interested in anyone else.

i usually do over 2tb a mth, but i bought the comcast biz class. I dont even download 'demos'. Just loading up myultple systems with digital content, netflix, amazon prime, etc etc kills it quick these days. I also stream subsonic all over too.

I downloaded 1.5 tb last billing cycle. I'm on a local ISP. They called me and said I raised some flags, but that it was no big deal and that they were just letting me know. That's way more than I usually download, but had downloaded a crapload of blurays for my new server. They said if I was consistently going to download that much, they "might" recommend I go to a business account which they don't monitor for super high bandwidth users like they do for consumer accounts.

I have a relative that was up to 450GB one month, and someone from Comcast actually called him and wanted to know why his traffic was so high (normally 225-240GB/month anyway). The next month he was at 325GB and they called a 2nd time. Basically told him if he went over again the following month, he would be disconnected. He must've backed off, or he never told me what happened, but I think he's still with them.

I'm gonna guess based on the replies that it may be regional whether it's enforced.

I would have happily gone to a biz connection, but they wouldn't let me. I wanted to give them more money, but they refused to take it. Bottom line is they only want people who barely use their connections. They are not interested in anyone else.

lol back in 2008 when I was doing ~600G/month I got a call from them, some douche bag who was totally threatening and condescending. He claimed my usage was "over 100 times more" than average. I asked if I could simply upgrade to business and he condescendingly responded that the only service they have which would allow me to continue my usage was their commercial internet, like what they would install for some huge corporate building and quoted some thousands of dollars per month figure with a $5000 install fee.

Funny thing was ever since I actually called up the number for Comcast Business I have been met with nothing but incredibly helpful and friendly people, and they were more than happy to take me on as a customer. I had them confirm for me in writing that there is no monthly cap before I signed up and they did that gladly. I've pulled upwards of 3TB/month since then and not a peep.

So yeah, if you end up talking to one of their abuse prevention retards you can pretty much expect that every word out of their mouths is nothing but bullshit and lies. Their goal at that point is basically to scare you off, and they certainly won't be interested in working with you.

You guys on business class. How much more per month are you paying over the equivalent consumer package?

260Gb in a month, what on earth did you do?

Stream Netflix every day, all day? Load up your terra-byte NAS with those extra large, fully featured game "demos"? :p

Yes, sort of, yes and yes. :cool: My fiance and I regularly stream Netflix to the 50" Samsung so most of the content is HD. Simultaneously I'm backing up my NAS to Backblaze (I love them, $5/month for unlimited storage!!!) And other downloading as well ;)

Excellent! A co-worker of mine is all over usenet on a business class connection (50/10) average down rate is 3 MBps :eek:

Same connection I'm on. He should be hitting 6 mbps with that connection. Over several terabytes of data, my average speed is 5.9 mbps

When I leave the tor relay server running (non exit, relay only) I was doing like 40TB (20up, 20 down) on my FiOS lines every month..

Pretty sure if I was on Comcast they would have me euthanized. But Comcast are softcaps, they only enforce on congested nodes or if it's seriously out of line.

When I leave the tor relay server running (non exit, relay only) I was doing like 40TB (20up, 20 down) on my FiOS lines every month..

Pretty sure if I was on Comcast they would have me euthanized. But Comcast are softcaps, they only enforce on congested nodes or if it's seriously out of line.

OOOOOH what I wouldn't give for FIOS :(

I think they're measuring inaccurately because my chart went from 150GB, to 200GB, 300GB, 500GB, 700GB then I broke 1TB a couple of months ago. I don't understand where this inflated usage comes from since my uploads are capped at 50kb/s and I have only downloaded about 40GB worth of crap on steam, I don't even stream that often.

they stopped expanding the fios network too. :(

I want everyone to enjoy the glorious internet speeds we have.

I saw a truck of theirs, now Frontier, down the street from my apartment complex and got uber exited. Put in a call right away and found out that they're laying the infrastructure to bring FIOS into a new housing development... right across the street from my complex! They won't be servicing the complex however so shed a few tears and then vowed that when I move it will be to a place where Comcrapstic isn't the only high speed game in town.

I have done it before, if u read the information, if you continue to go over it for like a multiple ammount of months they can shut you off for 12 months, and I think there are fees and penalties.

I own Comcast business class for one month now and have moved 1.3tb...

Full blown multi hundred Gigabit server images maxing my download speed of course.

Yes, but your business class, not even close to the same level as home users.

I'm on a 75/75 now and just set 3TB to backup to an online service. To date FIOS hasn't said jack about my usage, but even I'm a bit curious what they'll have to say about this. :)

I got cut off of Comcast for using 280GB in one month before their cap, they restored me but only after a harsh talking to. They wouldn't tell me how much bandwidth I'd used, but I had it logged in my router. Frankly now that they've announced their cap, while I don't think it's ideal, at least they're up front about it. Before the cap, they just shut you off when you hit their undisclosed magic number, and that really pissed me off. So glad I'm no longer a patron of theirs.

I work for Suddenlink...and they charge $10 per 50gb over....

I personally am at 1.6tb this month.

Back