Surgeons Using Twitter During Brain Surgery

HardOCP News

[H] News
If I am ever diagnosed with something that requires brain surgery, remind me not to use any of these doctors. I don’t care if there were three surgeons on the case and only one “tweeted” at a time…keep your iPhone in your pocket and your hands on a scalpel.

As doctors Steven Kalkanis and Kost Elisevich performed brain surgery at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, a watchful medical team looked on. So did more than 1,900 others, who subscribe to the microblogging social network site Twitter—and had decided to "follow" Henry Ford Hospital.

WTF, what happened to the good of days in which they just filmed it or did a webcast or closed circuit tv broadcast or something like that.

I think this whole twitter obsession is just crazy.

Malpractice indeed. Tell me how they autoclaved their iphone so that it was sterile and managed to keep it working.

Poor etiquette IMO.

This whole twitter obsession thing has gone crazy IMO.

Also to add, they were using a computer, not an iphone... Plus no where does it imply that the surgeons themselves were typing out the tweets. Instead, they were simply dictating answers; this is in no way out of the norm of a normal operating room. The only difference is that instead of answering questions of a med student who is actually present, they are answering questions of 'virtual' people

RTFA

Twitter should fall off the planet and never come back, the word "twitter" alone annoys me

Also to add, they were using a computer, not an iphone...
RTFA

Watch the video... there was a female using an unshrouded blackberry in the OR, supposedly a sterile environment. No way to sterilize that device with its many nooks and crannies without an autoclave, which would destroy the device.

You guys are misunderstanding the sterility requirements of the OR.

The entire OR is kept as a clean room with positive pressure. Not everything is sterile. When operating, we refer to the "sterile field" which is the part of the patient that is sterilized to be cut, the gowns put on upon entering the room, before proceeding to the sterile field and the gloves are all sterile. The field is an imaginary space, where nothing unsterile is supposed to enter. Hands are also washed and dried with sterile cloth, not allowed to touch anything before sterile gloves are donned. If you touch anything with gloves aside from something in thesterile field, you leave, not touhing anything, rescrub, re glove, reenter field. There are computers in most ORs. I have had to answer calls during operations to give orders for unstable patients, which involved taking the cell phone out, rescrubbing, regloving etc. Obviously done during a stable part of the procedure.

1. The word Twitter is indeed annoying.
2. As a medical student, I would really appreciate opportunity like this. It's not like every day you can observe brain surgery even if you are on surgical rotation. For the most part, the surgeon answering the questions is not directly operating. Since the surgery of this caliber would consist of at least 3-4 senior surgeons, they can easily rotate out.
3. I don't know what they did about sterilization but I am sure that it was sufficient. No way would the chief of surgery and the hospital lawyers would have let this fly if all precautions were not in place.
4. The patient consented the twitter. He had to read, show that he comprehend, and sign the consent form. It's not a simple "yes" or "no."
5. I uploaded the link to my medical class, I will share their responses in due time.

How DARE these people use their phone instead of standing around for when/if they're needed. I mean, you can't exactly stand and use a phone at the same time.

I see stupid people...

Lots of them. This new thing twitter is evil-. Forget that there are already computers video cameras and these people answering the questions of one or two people instead of thousands.

Only med students should be able to see this I guess.

2. As a medical student, I would really appreciate opportunity like this. It's not like every day you can observe brain surgery even if you are on surgical rotation. For the most part, the surgeon answering the questions is not directly operating. Since the surgery of this caliber would consist of at least 3-4 senior surgeons, they can easily rotate out.

http://or-live.com/

Its a cool site, im not a med student or anything, but i reciently underwent surgery and found this site and actually found a prior webcast of my surgeron performing on this site. Quite interesting to watch.

I'm still in the dark about what twitter is? Is it just another myspace wannabe?

You guys are misunderstanding the sterility requirements of the OR.

The entire OR is kept as a clean room with positive pressure. Not everything is sterile. When operating, we refer to the "sterile field" which is the part of the patient that is sterilized to be cut, the gowns put on upon entering the room, before proceeding to the sterile field and the gloves are all sterile. The field is an imaginary space, where nothing unsterile is supposed to enter. Hands are also washed and dried with sterile cloth, not allowed to touch anything before sterile gloves are donned. If you touch anything with gloves aside from something in thesterile field, you leave, not touhing anything, rescrub, re glove, reenter field. There are computers in most ORs. I have had to answer calls during operations to give orders for unstable patients, which involved taking the cell phone out, rescrubbing, regloving etc. Obviously done during a stable part of the procedure.

All you had to say is do not touch anything covered in blue :) Thats it the number rule i tell visitors

Back