Surgeons Save Time With Kinect

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Paging Dr. Xbox, paging Dr. Xbox, please report to surgery with your Kinect.

Surgeons at a Toronto hospital are using Microsoft’s Xbox 360 motion sensor Kinect to save time calling up images during operations. The Winnipeg Free Press reports that surgeons at Sunnybrook Hospital are using open-source Kinect drivers for PC to allow them to manipulate images of medical scans – something which normally involves a meticulous cleanup operation to ensure sterility around the patient, taking around 20 minutes each time.
 
This is good PR for Microsoft, can't buy that kind promotion. They were smart not to oppose the open source community.
 
As long as they're not manipulating the images with gestures while holding extremely sharp objects near delicate tissue.

Maybe this usage of the Kinect would prompt doctors to equip all their implements with wrist straps.
 
I have to admit that I was sure the Kinect was going to be a failure, but this is awesome. It is nice to see that Microsoft can still do original stuff every now and then. I just wish they would hurry up and give me a next generation Xbox as the current one is feeling a little dated now.
 
I have to admit that I was sure the Kinect was going to be a failure, but this is awesome. It is nice to see that Microsoft can still do original stuff every now and then. I just wish they would hurry up and give me a next generation Xbox as the current one is feeling a little dated now.

they're probably relying more on innovation for sales, rather than pure graphical power, but a new xbox would be nice :p
 
with all that is going on with kinect on the pc without official drivers, i can't wait to see what happens once the official drivers and sdk come out
 
this is total win, only if he's using his head to make gestures (imagines arms flailing with scalpels and bone saws):eek:
 
Having started a radiology digital imaging program I must say that this a great thing. The surgery dept was very difficult for setting up viewing x-rays and such because of the number of people already in the OR and keeping things sterile while somebody is looking up and manipulating images. Speeding things up gets patients out of the OR and that's a good thing.
 
this is total win, only if he's using his head to make gestures (imagines arms flailing with scalpels and bone saws):eek:

I would think given the situation they would simply instruct a nurse or some other person already in the OR to do that so they wouldnt have to. No?
 
Back
Top