Surgeon Wears Snapchat Sunglasses While Operating

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember the doctor that wore Google Glass during surgery? Well, he's at it again, but, this time around, he was wearing a pair of Snapchat shades in the operating room. Would you let a guy wearing shades perform surgery on you?

UK teaching surgeon Dr Shafi Ahmed has "livestreamed" an operation using Snapchat spectacles, which are sunglasses with a small camera integrated, allowing the wearer to record what they are seeing. The routine hernia repair procedure took place at the London Independent Hospital. Clips from it were posted to Snapchat.

This is awesome but I feel they should also upload the procedure to youtube and other video sites.

As long as my face is covered I would be fine with it. I used to love watching the local University channel when they did surgeries. It is pretty interesting.

I really wouldn't have much of a choice once the anesthetics kicked in, right?

I really wouldn't have much of a choice once the anesthetics kicked in, right?
Hopefully the doctor is professional :D

Reminds me of some doctor show I was watching on a cable learning channel where a couple guys were harassing their female coworker with an xray of the patient's lower body. They were saying something like "Look -- the patient likes you!" and kidding around until the lady said "you know you're sexually harassing me on national tv, right?" and suddenly the guys were professional and courteous. It was funny as shit.

As long as the patient signs off on it why does anyone care? New surgeons need to learn somehow and short of being in the operating room to assist or observe this seems like a pretty decent way to do it.

Curious what rules there are in the UK as far as patient confidentiality? I mean it's one thing to be a teaching hospital, it's another thing to live stream to another hospital, but posting pictures online for all to see?

Eff that. I didn't read the whole story but if he's doing anything invasive, I'd pass. Not because of the ethical side of things either. The dude's sight is compromised. I don't think I need to break it down further.

Eff that. I didn't read the whole story but if he's doing anything invasive, I'd pass. Not because of the ethical side of things either. The dude's sight is compromised. I don't think I need to break it down further.

The article isn't even that long...
Snapchat allows users to post only short video clips, meaning Dr Ahmed had to carefully plan how he would record the operation.

"I had to think through the operation and what I'd show in each clip. I wanted to demonstrate techniques and break it down in a structured way."

With hygiene in mind, Dr Ahmed had an assistant on hand to hit record on the $130 (£100) glasses. Since the spectacles cannot stream footage directly to the internet, the operation was captured in 10 second chunks that each took about half a minute to get online.

"He is a consultant too, so he knew when to press the button. We had a pre-determined list of clips we wanted to get."

The challenge of the Snap spectacles was the tinted lenses because they are designed to be used as sunglasses.

"We rigorously tested them beforehand to see what the view was like and whether they impinged my view at all. It was a superficial operation and the glasses didn't restrict me," said Dr Ahmed.

With plans to use the spectacles for teaching, the lenses are set to be replaced with clear glass by a US company.

"In terms of teaching and learning the spectacles have enormous value. The feedback has already been good - students understand what we are doing here.

The article isn't even that long...
With hygiene in mind, Dr Ahmed had an assistant on hand to hit record on the $130 (£100) glasses. Since the spectacles cannot stream footage directly to the internet, the operation was captured in 10 second chunks that each took about half a minute to get online.
The challenge of the Snap spectacles was the tinted lenses because they are designed to be used as sunglasses.
Are you fucking kidding me? These have to be the shittiest camcorder glasses he could possibly find for the task.

But I've seen them livestream in Greys Anatomy before, but I think each time the patient died.

yeah, those glasses are too dark for surgery....superficial surgery or not. Really, Idk who'd let a surgeon touch them when glasses like these interfere with depth, color and produce glare.

:yawn: You think?

Back