DarkenReaper57
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Oct 2, 2003
- Messages
- 2,173
As far as I can tell, this sub forum is the most pertinent for this question:
Do you protect your electronics more from power spikes and surges - during, say, a thunderstorm - by flipping the master power ON/OFF switch on a standard power strip w/surge protection to "OFF"?
I understand that the safest thing to do would be to unplug the appliances connected, but just out of curiosity, would flipping the switch to "OFF" help? I'd think that ON/OFF has a moderate effect, since if the electricity goes to like 6000 V on the wall receptacle, the connection would arc across the switch anyway.
Also, how safe is it to use a PC connected to a UPS w/surge protection during a thunderstorm?
Do you protect your electronics more from power spikes and surges - during, say, a thunderstorm - by flipping the master power ON/OFF switch on a standard power strip w/surge protection to "OFF"?
I understand that the safest thing to do would be to unplug the appliances connected, but just out of curiosity, would flipping the switch to "OFF" help? I'd think that ON/OFF has a moderate effect, since if the electricity goes to like 6000 V on the wall receptacle, the connection would arc across the switch anyway.
Also, how safe is it to use a PC connected to a UPS w/surge protection during a thunderstorm?