Surface?

Someone remind me of the last hardware MS put out that wasn't a console that also wasn't a huge disappointment...

First off, I watched the entire press conference, and I was really excited about the surface pro. I have been buying and using mini windows based PC platforms with inking capabilities for several years now, and i have been holding out waiting for something that has ivy bridge, a keyboard, usb 3.0, etc... and the surface pro seems to be perfect. I think it looks like a well designed and thought out product that I actually plan on getting.

That said, I just noticed something disturbing... look closer at the keyboard....
Where the crap are the function keys? I use way to many development tools that rely on function key shortcuts..
please say they at least the volume / playback keys on the top row at least double as function keys despite not having F1, F2, F3, etc printed on them.... If I have to open up the on screen keyboard app in order to use function keys, so help me microsoft, I will convert to linux... :p (ok probably not, but still)

microsoft-surface-keyboard1.jpg

440x330-microsoft-surface-keyboard-2.jpg

Those look like markings on the lower right of the top row keys. And there are 12 of them. Hope there's a way to reverse it and make the F keys default so you don't have to keep hitting the fn key.

I'm not to crazy about tablets, but surface with hdmi out may fit the bill. I want to be able to hook up a regular hdmi cable to it and mirror to the big screen. So i want 1080p so im not fighting wtih resolutions or extended desktop. Also full size so when i go over to someones house and all like, hey check this new cat clip on youtube, I'm not upset because i forgot my adapter.

Someone remind me of the last hardware MS put out that wasn't a console that also wasn't a huge disappointment...

Their mice used to be pretty good. I've been using a Logitech mouse for the last 4 something years. Before that I had a MS mouse that I wore out, but lasted about 5 years. Yes, I get set in ma ways.

I think your trying to hint at the zune there aren't ya? I wouldn't call it a disappointment. A flop yes, but is was the birth of metro, for better or for worse. I still rock my HD to this day. So there's 1. Funny how you had to make an exception for the console to try and make a point.

Yeah, the Zune might have been a disappointment, in that it didn't take off, but I think the general consensus was that it is a really good device (particularly the Zune HD). Almost everybody I know, who has the HD, absolutely loves it.

I think if MS can get the right voodoo brew of advertising and software/apps, this thing is going to be huge. I am personally making plans to get the pro myself. Things are looking good in Redmond, at least in my opinion.

I really want to play with one of these things - the extra 90 days on the Pro line is going to be painful.

Are the only connectivity options going to be usb and wifi? Or will there be versions that can be used with the cell operators? While tethering over wifi with my cell is surely one way to go about that, battery life for a cell gets rather abysmal when it is used that way, and I prefer my mobile devices be independent of each other when possible.
The Surface interests me little, (have a galaxy tab 10.1 with a keyboard built into a leather case already), but the x86 Surface Pro does present me with the possibility of ditching my laptop should the thing perform to my liking. As it stands, I can slip a card into my laptop and have internet nearly anywhere, independent of my cell phone, it is not a feature I would give up easily.

I think this is what I wanted when I bought my first iPad.

I sold and upgraded my original iPad to "the new iPad" earlier this year. It was nicer and I liked using it a lot. Unfortunately it was stolen. I do miss it.

I'm excited to see the 8 Pro hardware come out. I think i'm going to hold off replacing the iPad at this point. I think I'd be happier with this. I really hope it comes sooner than later for a price I can live with and doesn't turn out to be a disappointment. This looks really great.

If Surface RT won't run Office then the product is dead before launch.

Now, depending on the weight and quality of the keyboard on the Surface Pro, it might have a change at $800-$1000. Just depends on if that keyboard doesn't suck or not.

If Surface RT won't run Office then the product is dead before launch.

Now, depending on the weight and quality of the keyboard on the Surface Pro, it might have a change at $800-$1000. Just depends on if that keyboard doesn't suck or not.

Office will not only run on RT, it comes with it for free. This is not the case for the Pro version though. Maybe this is the reason they are charging a little more for it than we'd like.

HAH.

$600 for ARM is way out of the ball park for iPad and Android competition. It should be $400 at the MOST. I think you are also going to be seeing an onslaught of $200 android tablets in the coming months that will kill the ARM Win 8 tablet.

For $1000 on the intel version, I'd rather get an ultrabook.

Don't get me wrong, I'd pay it though I wouldn't like it. However the reason many people want these is they've tried Android tablets and the support for Windows services/Office compatibility has been less than satisfactory. I like your $400 pricepoint, it shouldn't be much more than a comparable laptop. I guess if its crazy powerful with awesome battery life then that would make it worth it.

Office will not only run on RT, it comes with it for free. This is not the case for the Pro version though. Maybe this is the reason they are charging a little more for it than we'd like.

Not exactly free, the price of Office is already factored into the total price for the tablet.

If that is true, then I will have it. We shall see.

Back