Surface Pro Buyers Are Complaining about Backlight Bleed

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I whine a lot about the Surface devices having obvious backlight bleeding, and finally, I don’t feel like I’m the only one: it seems that people are finally taking notice because the issue is especially pronounced in the latest model. Of course, this problem could be easily avoided if Microsoft would just switch to OLED panels. It’s been a while since I’ve touched one, but I suspect the bleeding has a lot to do with the way the Surface chassis is glued.

More than 120 people have so far taken to Microsoft’s support forums to complain of a “backlight bleed” issue on the Surface Pro’s display. Shown in a picture taken by a customer known as Surface Guy below, the issue is quite clear – the top shows the display of the Surface Pro 4 without the issue, and the bottom shows the Surface Pro (2017) with the issue. Effectively, it means the display’s backlight is leaking from the bottom edge of the screen, causing colors to become distorted and more white. Many are reporting that this issue appears to affect all Surface Pro 2017 models, including the display models in the Microsoft Store.

New device issues. They'll likely make a correction in manufacturering and it'll be less of an issue. This is why you don't buy new models within the first month or two.

As for OLED, I think it might have something to do with the fact Microsoft uses a high-density display (compared to laptops/2-in-1/tablets, not phones). An OLED panel that size in the pixel density needed can't be cheap.

So you goto the store. See light bleed on the display. then think i need that in my life! lol. online buyers atleast have a excuse

New device issues. They'll likely make a correction in manufacturering and it'll be less of an issue. This is why you don't buy new models within the first month or two.

As for OLED, I think it might have something to do with the fact Microsoft uses a high-density display (compared to laptops/2-in-1/tablets, not phones). An OLED panel that size in the pixel density needed can't be cheap.

Yeah but the surface pro isn’t cheap either. Microsoft seems to be cheaping out on quite a few of their products lately.

On for hours a day, every day. Static UI elements constantly displayed in static positions.

Yes, this is clearly the right device for an OLED display...

At least the device powers up, twice now I've supplied Surface Pro's to clients and the charger was faulty out the box - Had me stumped for a bit the first time I encountered it as the device has a completely flat battery on delivery.

Backlight bleeding at that point is unacceptable. It's unacceptable at any price in 2017.

The Surface line has always had back light bleed issues. I've personally handled close to a hundred Surface Pro 3 and 4 tablets at my job and 80% of them had significant back light bleed issues so I'm not surprised that the new Surface Pros show the same.

Backlight bleeding at that point is unacceptable. It's unacceptable at any price in 2017.
It’s an inherent problem with IPS, I’m not sure how you want to fix it. Most people probably consider true backlight bleed and IPS glow as the same.

It’s an inherent problem with IPS, I’m not sure how you want to fix it. Most people probably consider true backlight bleed and IPS glow as the same.

I've had success in greatly reducing backlight bleed on devices/displays that could be reasonably opened and dissembled. Usually just changing how tight the fasteners on the panel is all it took.

I've had success in greatly reducing backlight bleed on devices/displays that could be reasonably opened and dissembled. Usually just changing how tight the fasteners on the panel is all it took.

I should have been more clear, IPS glow is impossible to get rid of. I think a lot of people assume that it’s backlight bleeding, which it’s not. Heck I thought my 27es had backlight bleeding, but it’s just IPS glow. But you are right, backlight bleeding can be solved and shouldn’t be on modern devices anymore.

I have a Surface Pro 3 and have not really noticed any back light bleed. However, I do not use it with a dark background either.

oled, color shifts and burn-in. No thank you, I've had laptops last me for 8+ years, surface is not easy to repair so rather not have a screen that looks like shit in 3 years.

oled, color shifts and burn-in. No thank you, I've had laptops last me for 8+ years, surface is not easy to repair so rather not have a screen that looks like shit in 3 years.

I've had a Galaxy Note 3 with AMOLED screen for 3+ years. I cannot find any of the problems you mention.

I've had a Galaxy Note 3 with AMOLED screen for 3+ years. I cannot find any of the problems you mention.

I ran a Samsung S3 for a good 2.5 years without issue, in fact the AMOLED display was gorgeous. I'd have an AMOLED display over a conventional IPS LCD any day.

They should care more about the terrible WiFi/Bluetooth that's been in every Microsoft product since the original surface pro. 13 products later and microsoft is still using the same Avastar junk.

The Surface line has always had back light bleed issues. I've personally handled close to a hundred Surface Pro 3 and 4 tablets at my job and 80% of them had significant back light bleed issues so I'm not surprised that the new Surface Pros show the same.
I have not encountered backlight bleed at all on my SP4. But then again I always keep the brightness at a reasonable level. Most people like to fry their eyes.

I should have been more clear, IPS glow is impossible to get rid of. I think a lot of people assume that it’s backlight bleeding, which it’s not. Heck I thought my 27es had backlight bleeding, but it’s just IPS glow. But you are right, backlight bleeding can be solved and shouldn’t be on modern devices anymore.

Yeah IPS "glow" can't really be solved because it's a limitation of the tech. I'm referring to actual bleeding which is an inconsistent brightness across the screen and can be solved with better case/bezel design. It's something I lived with in the earlier days of LCD/LED screens, but shouldn't be a thing any more.

got a surface pro 4 my self, had to recently return three replacements due to this the last one was the worst, was hoping to bump up the spec and storage space from my i5 based pro4. but think im gonna stay put. save the cash. oddly the lowest specced m3 based ones had perfect screens

Back