l008com
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Jun 20, 2002
- Messages
- 374
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get a pair of surface mount cables, one for SATA data and one for SATA power. What do I mean by surface mount? I mean the type of cable where I can cut a small hole in the objects, and attach this to the inside, giving said device a (in this case) SATA port. This is the USB version of exactly what I'm looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28068-Female-Panel/dp/B001AW5MUA
If I could get one of those for SATA data and one for SATA power, I'd be a happy guy. I'm turning a fw800 hard drive enclosure into a flexible on-the-fly drive adapter. By my fear is after a few years of use (i fix Macs for a living, my current IDE enclosure turned adapter is on it's last leg), the power and data connectors on the enclosure's board might break right off. But if I could put some solid external ports on the outside of this little case, I'll be golden. This little magic box would last forever! But I can't find any cables like this anywhere.
ALSO fyi for those that are interested: It was an aluminum and steel enclosure for a 3.5" hard drive. I cut off about 2/3 of the internal chassis, and will soon do the same for the external case. I drilled new holes for the end cap and riveted it to the new end of the internal chassis. The result is a box just big enough for the firewire sata bridge board. No empty space going to waste. It's a HD enclosure without the space for the drive. And it's VERY fast, being firewire to SATA. Rivet guns are a MUST for true case mod'ers.
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28068-Female-Panel/dp/B001AW5MUA
If I could get one of those for SATA data and one for SATA power, I'd be a happy guy. I'm turning a fw800 hard drive enclosure into a flexible on-the-fly drive adapter. By my fear is after a few years of use (i fix Macs for a living, my current IDE enclosure turned adapter is on it's last leg), the power and data connectors on the enclosure's board might break right off. But if I could put some solid external ports on the outside of this little case, I'll be golden. This little magic box would last forever! But I can't find any cables like this anywhere.
ALSO fyi for those that are interested: It was an aluminum and steel enclosure for a 3.5" hard drive. I cut off about 2/3 of the internal chassis, and will soon do the same for the external case. I drilled new holes for the end cap and riveted it to the new end of the internal chassis. The result is a box just big enough for the firewire sata bridge board. No empty space going to waste. It's a HD enclosure without the space for the drive. And it's VERY fast, being firewire to SATA. Rivet guns are a MUST for true case mod'ers.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.