Surface 3 PXE boot?

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
I am trying to boot a new Surface 3 (Non-pro, Atom powered) device. I am using a USB to Ethernet dongle, which works fine on the SP3. I tried the SP3 technique of holding down volume and power, but it never works.

Anyone try it? I've looked for firmware updates, etc., but nothing is coming up.

PXE only works with the official network adapter. If it's third party, you're probably sol. If you're using the official adapter, you pxe server might not be responding the request.

You'll also want to make sure the latest firmware is on the device, as that's where the uefi network drivers live.

I've built a ton of these with sccm and those were my biggest challenge.

Crap. Ok. I'm using a Lenovo brand dongle for the network... Works fine on the SP3 just not the S3... Damn. I knew there was going to be a hitch somewhere.

Thanks!

Crap. Ok. I'm using a Lenovo brand dongle for the network... Works fine on the SP3 just not the S3... Damn. I knew there was going to be a hitch somewhere.

Thanks!

Got a dock? That works fine for pxe.

Can an S3 PXE boot at all? It might be strictly a feature of the pro line.

Yes. Picked up a Microsoft branded ethernet adapter, and it worked just fine. Updating drivers this morning, but everything works.

Once the OS is installed, the Lenovo adapter works great, but the Microsoft one needs drivers for Windows....

Back