Supreme Commander ate my video card

moetop

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I have been playing the 2.7 version of Supreme commander for a few days now, and as most everyone else I have noticed a slow down at about the 1 hour mark. It was just starting to slow down for me, and I decided to go down for some breakfast, so I paused the game. After about 30 minutes I came back up to notice the system seemed to not be responding, so I -ALT- it and ALT- a few times to be given a corrupt screen of video, and no more response, so I did a 7 second power button reboot, and immediately at the graphic card/bios screen I had corrupt video. It wouldn't even boot into windows. So I opened the case and touched the (on the BACK side of the card, because the front has a air shroud) to find that the card was VERY hot.

Let the card cool down completely, tried it in another PC, same stuff. (He's dead Jim)

Just wanted to give a bit of warning for those still playing the beta. If it starts bogging don't pause and come back a little later. I certainly cant prove it was the game, but this card (and system for that matter) had performed flawlessly for over a year now.

The card that got cooked is a ( 256 Mb ram) Looks like I will have a nice 6800 Key fob now.. :(

The worse part is, I bought the card a little over a year ago to try and squeak a little more life out of my system, and it still did play games well enough, to give me a couple more months before I needed to buy a new system. Now I don't know exactly what to do with Christmas around the corner. Cant really spend allot of money and I don't want to invest in a card again.

Obi_Kwiet said:
It bogs down because of CPU load. Your card died of natural causes.

It's to bad there is no GPU meter, to determine load on the video card. I also had noticed on a previous session I Alt-tabbed out and the cpu was pegged when it started to bog, but that still doesent eliminate the possibility of it hammering the GPU as well.

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't have thought that a GPU under a heavy load for a long period would just cook itself like that. I mean, there are no doubt more than a couple of people who've spent hours on end in front of Oblivion with their GPU load at 100%, but this isn't a problem you see often.

Assuming you haven't overclocked it (since I'm sure you would have mentioned something like that) my guess is your fan crapped out. I can't think of any other reason a card would fry so abruptly. There might even be a slim chance that it's still just overheating as soon as you switch it on, and the GPU isn't actually dead yet. Though I'd wait for a second opinion before spending any money trying to fix it...

yeah and whats the deal? NV sentinal and ATI VPU recover both have threasholds for how hot your card can get b4 you get BSOD and shut-down.

your card shouldnt of fried like that.

One of my friends had a card with a fan that died. His card melted. He is still waiting to buy another card. You may just be SOL.

Your card will not die if you pause for a long time. With SupCom Beta, I have pause over-night with the monitor turned off, and I didn't play until after school. There have been no problems for me. Granted, I am running on default video settings, but it still should not do that. And SupCom is stable enough in my experience that it would not kill your card through the software. SupCom is not to blame.

his fx5200 fan died, and he wasnt around, but lucky enough it didnt catch fire or big fire, we found black smudge and stuff on card, didnt take anything else with it.the fan itself was black n melted somewhat.his prob was he didnt clean pc nearly ever and dust up the wazoo.

Games can't make cards die, although some new games running on new cards can stress cards more than previous games because they use features which the card has reserved resourecs for.

I remember the Doom3 launch, Carmack said that people who had overclocked their video cards should overclock them from scratch again when running doom3 because of the technology it used was so new (at the time)

Generally speaking its the fault of the card/drivers, the drivers should throttle down the core speed when it hits high temps anyhow!

ellover009 said:
Where did u get supreme commander? I thought It wasn't released yet.

Read the thread, we all got our hands on the beta; it got passed around quite freely.

Pharacon said:
RMA time think. too bad about your card, hope you purchased XFX or BFG :D

Ya it's about 3 months past warranty. I was looking at a new card, but I certinaly dont want to spend $150 - $200 on a card I will never be able to do SLI with. I think it's new system time. Something that leaves me some future expandabillity

ellover009 said:
Where did u get supreme commander? I thought It wasn't released yet.

Read the other Supreme Commander thread (the long one). You need the 2.0 beta file (Torrent) and then the 2.0 - 2.7 patch, and then a "fix" Look for Angry Vulcan in the thread.

Right after I got it running I was accepted into the official Beta, so I can now run 3.0.

Back