Suppressing logon scripts in XP

lithium726

[H]F Junkie
Hey all,

I'm setting up some new Kiosk machines to go in all our labs around campus. We're forcing login to a domain account specifically for the kiosks, and would like the machines to boot up right into the account, which my test machine is doing all except for a logon script from the Domain that pops up and tells us UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS PROHIBITED. I need to know how to suppress this (it needs to be on all the other lab computers, so disabling it is not possible), anyone have any ideas?

That's not a lgon script. You have the legal notice turned on. Put these machines in their own OU with a group policy set to disable the legal notice.

Thanks for correcting my terminology, all this is still somewhat new to me. Just so I'm clear: you're suggesting putting the Kiosk account in it's own usergroup so we can suppress the legal notice through group policies for only that account, correct?

You could do a group policy that only applies to one group denying read access to anything not in that group. From a long term management perspective to make things clearer for other people who come behind you, it's better to make a new AD OU and put the affected objects (computer accounts in this case) in that container, with the group policy applied at that level.

For example, if you have all your end user computers in an OU called "workstations", You would create a sub-OU under workstations called "Kiosks". At the "Kiosks" level, you would set a new group policy to turn off the legal notice caption and text.

something like this

Users
Computers
Workstations>Kiosks
(apply new group policy on the Kiosks OU to override display of legal notice text and caption)

Ok, I talked to my boss and we don't have that much authority - any policies we set would be overridden by policies that our higher-ups have set. Is there any way to override this on the local machines?

apparently eons ago someone wrote a script to suppress it but we can't find it.

Back