Supporting 3 dual link DVI-D monitors, two for gaming.

Nickerz

n00b
So now that I've got my office multimonitor setup taken care of, I'm still trying to get home taken care of. I've got 2 ZR30Ws coming and have a VG278H here already. The VG278H is absolutely terrible as a desktop monitor. However I'm a twitch shooter kind of guy and want to on occasion take advantage of the 120hz and the 3D when I'm feeling casual. I also at times want to be able to use one of the ZR30Ws for gaming when I feel like big screen gaming.

90% of my time is productivity\browsing. I've also given some serious thought to the 20 30 20 setups and it just really doesn't make sense. It looks badass yes, but doesn't really satisfy everything I need.

• One card if possible
  • Supporting monitors WITHOUT adapters
  • Nvidia is required
I played around with 3 monitors for a little bit using some of my hansprees I've got laying around and spare graphics cards and the 3rd monitor basically never gets used, so a PLP setup would be a waste. So my focus is on a badass dual monitor setup for productivity, and I can pull over the Asus by arm when I need a 3rd or want some smooth 120hz Quake.

ZR30W ZR30W VG278H is how I'm going to set it up.

I'm pretty much limited to Nvidia given the monitor.

The ZR30Ws are 2560x1600 DVI-D Dual Link & Display Port monitors. The VG278H needs dual link DVI-D.

How much of a pain in the ass is it going to be to boot games on one of the ZR30s and then boot a different game on the Asus? Is this doable cost effectively under 1 card? How much of a pain is this going to be using more than one card?

GTX 680

Has 2 dual link DVI outputs and a DP output. Would work perfectly for you.

Switching games between the 2 monitors should be as simple as selecting your "primary" display in Windows. I recently added a 1080p monitor to my Surround setup for StarCraft 2. It's easy to switch between the projectors and the 1080p LCD.

Back