Support for linux?

SmAw

n00b
My curiosity has gotten the best of me and im thinking about switching to linux...but before i take the plung i wanted to find out what kind of support it has for gaming. I play lots of online games (i.e. BF2, WoW, ect.), does linux support games like this or should i stick with windows XP?

It's more of a matter of if the games support linux rather than if linux supports the games. The gaames you listed are all windows games, so they won't run natively under linux. It might be possible to run them using wine or cedega, but they may not work 100%. If you play a lot of games then you should probably stick with windows. If you still want to play around with linux then you can just get an old computer and put it on there to play around with.

Thanks for the reply...I've never used linux, so i think ill install it on a seperate HD just to play around with it.

cedega is great.. wow works fine with it, eq as well.. believe hl2 is also working under it. Check it out at www.transgaming.com

If you are new to linux I recommend using mandriva (used to be mandrake), as its very complete, easy to use, kinda bloated distro, but a nice transition from windows.

Any idea where i can obtain a copy of cedega? I looked around online a bit, but couldn't find anything. Screenshots from transgaming.com looked nice...i think ill try this.

You get cedega from transgaming, its like 5 bux a month donation to get it and all upgrades etc. They have a team of developers working on it to make it better and provide support for more games and such.

You could pay... or you could compile it for free from their CVS source. There are some guides/scripts out there that explain how to do this.

Back