Supply easing?

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
Our local chain here in the Bay Area, Central Computers, suddenly appears to be swimming in 30-series cards, even the 12GB 3080s, and all the must-purchase-with-systems restrictions have disappeared. I checked a few other stores in the area and they seem to be getting supply. Prices are inflated a bit like everything else but it’s still striking. Is this a blip? Or are supply constraints finally easing?

Judging by normal availability at most large online retailers, I’d say more cards are available or demand has gone down. I guess without concrete data it’s just a guess. What is a fact tho, is more cards are available for longer, and prices are falling back to earth.

Could still be interesting for intel to come up (and I do not know the performance -price point), but maybe that by mid may when Alchemist launch it will feel too late timing wise.

The price are still very high but now there is a giant list of card simply on newegg.com you can buy (even sold by NewEgg)

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-6500-xt-rx6500xt-pgd-4go/p/N82E16814930067

a 6500xt at $225, that getting almost at MSRP (for an popular online vendor)
and:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-6500-xt-selling-at-35-below-msrp-in-germany
AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT Selling at 35% Below MSRP in Germany

6700xt available (it seem) on Newegg at $599, that cheaper than the FE ($605) on AMD.com

Which would indicate that it is more than just not wanting to buy high end for that type of crowd right now.

I feel, and this is all speculative gut-feeling, that the market is cooling off. We're seeing some cards in stock new, and used card markets are starting to come back too. This was helped by that crypto crash a few months ago too.

I'm seeing three different RTX 3070/3070 TIs in stock on newegg. Crypto must not be doing as good (haven't followed) and I think the prices have gone too high for the average gamer. I, for one, wouldn't have paid $800+ for a GPU. Add in production related problems clearing up and maybe we'll start getting back to normal.

I'm seeing three different RTX 3070/3070 TIs in stock on newegg. Crypto must not be doing as good (haven't followed) and I think the prices have gone too high for the average gamer. I, for one, wouldn't have paid $800+ for a GPU. Add in production related problems clearing up and maybe we'll start getting back to normal.

Crypto is still doing well but it's not crazy profits anymore like early last year. A non-LHR 3070 for example would take about 350 days to pay off $700. I think the fear of Ethereum going proof of stake has finally caused people to slow-down their purchasing. If something majorly delays that or some other coins shoots up in price (unlikely imo) then demand could surge but I think we'll continue to see a gradual decline along with profits.

Crypto is still doing well but it's not crazy profits anymore like early last year. A non-LHR 3070 for example would take about 350 days to pay off $700

Would that mean about (depending on the tax), with the current asking price that seem a bit over $800 for an LHR version on new egg over, about 850 days to pay off ?

Outside a really good resale timing that seem way too much to buy by someone just to mine right ?

If this is somewhat valid:
https://www.coinwarz.com/mining/ethereum/hashrate-chart

Seem to have hit almost a plateau since mid january, instead on adding all the ETH mining power that existed in May 2020 every 75 days or so.

Probably a combination of factors. One of which is people probably don't want to drop $1200+ on a card with new ones on the horizon.

I got my EVGA notification yesterday and went ahead and bought a 3080 FTW for $900. I‘d be shocked if the new cards have any availability for the foreseeable future and I’m happy with my current 3080’s performance. I’m going to replace it with the EVGA model and sell it to my brother since he hasn’t gotten a 3000 series yet.

I think going forward, I’ll just buy high-end laptops and use those and replace them every 3-4 years rather than continuing building desktops. Over the last couple of systems I owned, I really didn’t do any upgrades that I couldn’t have done on a laptop as well (mainly storage and RAM) and when I ordered my Legion 7 with a 3080 last fall, I had it within a month and while the mobile 3080 can’t touch a desktop version, it’s more than ample for my needs.

Pricing is still crap, but noticeably lower than it was at my local Micro Center. That said feels like they've had a good supply of Nvidia cards daily for at least a couple months now. AMD cards seem to sit as the AMD shelf is always full of every card, but again, at bad prices.

Would that mean about (depending on the tax), with the current asking price that seem a bit over $800 for an LHR version on new egg over, about 850 days to pay off ?

Outside a really good resale timing that seem way too much to buy by someone just to mine right ?

If this is somewhat valid:
https://www.coinwarz.com/mining/ethereum/hashrate-chart

Seem to have hit almost a plateau since mid january, instead on adding all the ETH mining power that existed in May 2020 every 75 days or so.

A 3070ti would payoff in maybe 400 days if it cost $800 (right now a 3070 non-LHR and 3070ti roughly the same). That's assuming the card is worthless at the end though. In reality, if you assume something like $400 value in the worst case multiplied by some some failure rate modifier (1-failure rate percentage) as the re-sale value then you'd only need half as much time for it to start earning you money. Even then though, at ~200 days until you start earning a profit we're still within the window where hypothetically eth moves to proof of stake and GPU drops to zero overnight. I think that explains the hashrate leveling off and people not buying.

Pricing is still crap, but noticeably lower than it was at my local Micro Center. That said feels like they've had a good supply of Nvidia cards daily for at least a couple months now. AMD cards seem to sit as the AMD shelf is always full of every card, but again, at bad prices.
Yeah the AMD pricing is weird. Once in a while they price a single model good (like $600 6700xt) and it sells out. Then the rest are still like $800. You'd think by now they'd realize those are probably never going to move at that price.

Yeah the AMD pricing is weird. Once in a while they price a single model good (like $600 6700xt) and it sells out. Then the rest are still like $800. You'd think by now they'd realize those are probably never going to move at that price.

Yeah, AMD pricing seems to move in strange patterns -chunks of only one model tends to see major variation!

I mean, when the 6700 xt, is now only $600-650 , but the 6600 Xt is still hanging-out within shooting distance ($550-$600), it's quite confusing. trying to figure out AMD pricing trends.

Back