Supermicro X9SCM and 60mm 3pin/PWM fans

nry

Limp Gawd
I have a Supermicro X9SCM with Intel E3 1220v2 inside a short 2U case (http://www.xcase.co.uk/X-Case-RM-204-Short-p/case-x-case-rm204s.htm this but I have the older version with 60mm fans) running 24/7 with a Zalman can controller to keep them fairly quiet

Anyway with the recent heatwave in the UK my Zalman fan mate either overheated and failed, or just failed out of the blue. And all the fans stopped, the PC over heated and my HDD died and I am surprised that was the only thing to go.

I need to replace these fans with a solution that's going to be fairly quiet when idle but will also support high temperatures and high loads and spin fans up faster when required, as this server will sometimes be under 100% CPU load for an hour or two.

My problem is that this motherboard supports PWM fan control but no fan control for 3 pin fans "Support 3-pin fans (w/o speed control)". In the UK I can find a total of 3 different 60mm fans none of which support PWM.

1) Is there a way to shutdown a X9SCM if it overheats?
2) How can I get suitable temperature control on these 60mm fans
3) Anyone know of any 60mm PWM fans available in the UK?

your X9SCM has 3 steady state fan settings with 4 pin fans: full speed, 50% (standard) speed and 30% (optimal) speed. They will run faster than steady state if there is thermal demand.

I would highly recommend finding some 4-pin fans which you could ship from the US if not avaialbale locally. Your other option is eBay, have a look at supermicro 60mm fans here and see if any of these are on eBay UK: http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/thermal/

Import is looking like my only option.

Found a couple of 3pin to 4pin pwm adapters but none in stock here in the UK. Would rather just buy some fans!

Probably would be cheaper just to buy a new 2U case which supports 80mm fans lol

For anyone who cares I bought 'Sunbeamtech Rheosmart 3 Fan Controller' PWM control of all 3 fans in my case now albeit from one PWM port but pretty sure you can't do individual fan control on this board anyway
Works perfectly :)

Back