Supermicro X10SRA

Hello,

I'm planning to build a workstation based on X10SRA. There's an amazon review, that reads: "Also note that it has a USB 3.0 header which is not compatible w/ USB 2.0 cable sets so you will have to purchase one of those if you want front panel USB."

Does anyone have experience with the MB?
What exactly has to be done to be able to plug the USB 2.0 and USB 1.0 devices to the MB?

Thank you!

USB3 motherboard headers have more pins than USB2 motherboad headers had so you can't plug in a USB2 case cable to this port. You will need to replace the cable you have on your case (that supplies the front pannel connectors) if it is USB2. Or just use the USB ports on the motherboard directly.

What exactly has to be done to be able to plug the USB 2.0 and USB 1.0 devices to the MB?

Devices will plug in the USB3 ports on the motherboard without issue.

Last edited:
I have an X10SLL-F from SuperMicro. Somewhere around here are several threads about the various issues that I've had, but once I got it up and running with compatible RAM and a compatible CPU, it has been rock solid, as has been my experience with every other SuperMicro product over the years.

I believe the comment about the USB 3.0 header refers to the on-board header for connecting front-panel or auxiliary USB ports. Mine is the same. I used a USB 2.0 -> USB 3.0 header adapter to connect the front-panel USB ports on an old server chassis. Here is one example: Amazon.com: SIENOC 19 Pin USB3.0 Female To 9 Pin USB2.0 Male Motherboard Cable Adapter: Computers & Accessories

The rear USB ports were all 2.0 ports on my motherboard. There is also an on-board USB 3.0 port that some people use for a flash drive to load the OS or another flash drive full of utility software in the event troubleshooting becomes necessary.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello,

I'm planning to build a workstation based on X10SRA. There's an amazon review, that reads: "Also note that it has a USB 3.0 header which is not compatible w/ USB 2.0 cable sets so you will have to purchase one of those if you want front panel USB."

Does anyone have experience with the MB?

Thank you!

I have the X10SRA-F, it seems to be a good board my Spicy 18 core works great, 10 6Gbps sata ports work great.

MrCaffeineX is correct on the adapter. The board does not have any USB 2.0 ports or headers.

Back