SuperMicro X10SL7-F: Recommended quad-port NICs?

raiderj

Limp Gawd
I picked up an Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad-Port adapter for this board thinking it would "just work", but I've had nothing but problems with it. It uses two 82571EB chipsets, which work fine with ESXi, but half the time the motherboard doesn't seem to detect the NIC itself. I have to set in the BIOS "Detect Non-Compliance Device = ENABLED" for it to do anything.

What NICs are there that people have had the most luck with? I'm finding SM boards to be really picky, as the board also only sees my Kingston or Corsair SSD half the time, but a HDD works without problems.

I think most of the stuff I've seen out there in the market are PT-based cards, but there are a few different models floating around. HP and Dell versions look different, but I think they're the same chipset. Amazon has the HP NC364T.

If you're willing to get new, you could look into the newer Intel chipsets: Intel E1G44HTBLK Server Adapter I340-T4

That's the adapter I'll probably get. I don't really want to spend quite that much, but after fighting with the older card I'm willing to just spend the money and go for it.

Are you sure you don't just have a bad card? The 82571's have been around for quite a while. Do you need it in a single card? I just got a dual-port model for $25 shipped (used) off eBay. You can get several of them for $32-36, and there's one place that's selling them brand new for about $50 shipped--if you can deal with dual cards.

They'll still be 82571's, though.

I could go with a dual-port card, I don't absolutely need four ports. Just happened the card I picked up has that many.

The card seems to be fine. It actually works once detected, which is about 50% of the time. The card also works without an issue in my desktop. Seems to really be just a compatibility issue with the motherboard - and a google search showed another user having to make a similar change on a SuperMicro X9 board.

It seems like you can get a brand new i350 dual-port card for about $150, which would save some cash.

Back