• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Supermicro Rack Question

mwolfod

n00b
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
45
A very basic question, so patience is appreciated:

I have a new Supermicro 846 (4U) server chassis that comes with some really nicely engineeered side support brackets.

I purchased a Middle Atlantic 19" rack with a 26" depth.

Width match between the chassis and rack is of course standard, and perfect. But, the problem I have is that the Supermicro brackets are just over 26.5 " long and feature a front latch that looks like it was designed for a large RECTANGULAR rack hole. The Middle Atlantic racks have standard round rack screw holes

Thus I have two problems matching this rack to the chassis:

1) Depth

2) Rack hole size/type.


Are SuperMicros intended for another type of rack?

I though Middle Atlantic racks were industry standard.


Thanks for any guidance.
 
The Supermicro rails have a really nice feature with square-hole racks that you can slip the rails into place without using any screws. They do have screw holes, though. Did you try to screw the rails into your rack?

As for the depth, you may be out of luck. Racks come in various depths. 3U and 4U hot-swap chassis tend to be quite long, and usually need a fairly deep rack.
 
Thanks for the reply.

The depth issue is disappointing-I shouldn't have assumed standardization I suppose, but I mean we talking a ONE HALF inch difference. Same with the rectangular holes....very frustrating.

The only holes on the front of the side brackets, that MIGHT work with the round Middle Atlantic rack holes would be blocked from fitting flush with the rack by the permanently attached hooks designed for the rectangular rack holes.
 
The depth issue is disappointing-I shouldn't have assumed standardization I suppose, but I mean we talking a ONE HALF inch difference. Same with the rectangular holes....very frustrating.

Some racks allow you to set the rear posts to different depth positions accomodate different length chassis.
 
Some racks allow you to set the rear posts to different depth positions accomodate different length chassis.

This is a Slim 5 from Middle Atlantic and does not appear to offer that option.

I don't mind the chassis sticking out a bit from the rear of the rack. I suppose I just need to find a different set of brackets that will work with my rack depth and mounting hole type, and still fit the SM chassis.

Thanks for your continuing assistance.
 
I don't mind the chassis sticking out a bit from the rear of the rack. I suppose I just need to find a different set of brackets that will work with my rack depth and mounting hole type, and still fit the SM chassis.

I'd start with Supermicro. Maybe they have some other types of rails.
 
Ran into that issue with one SM chassis. Just drill out the rivits that hold on the quick mount clips.
 
Ran into that issue with one SM chassis. Just drill out the rivits that hold on the quick mount clips.

I haven't really examined that front mounting area closely. Given removal of the quick mount clips, are there mounting holes for a standard round rackmount screw? I would assume at least 2 per corner?
 
I'd start with Supermicro. Maybe they have some other types of rails.


A surprisingly limited number of rack rail options from SM; only two for this chassis.

Are there any companies that manufacture rackrails for retrofitting?

Thanks.
 
Back
Top