Supermicro JBODs, single/dual expander, HBA

HDClown

Limp Gawd
Looking to build out some new storage (backup targets) using Supermicro JBOD enclosures. Couple questions:

1. Single vs. Dual Expander - Supermicro's website has some conflicting info on dual expander and SATA drive support. In one spot they says the dual expander supports SAS2/3 and in another they list SAS2/3 and SATA. What is the real situation in regards to SATA? Does it depend on how you connect your HBA to the backplanes and the capabilities of the HBA?
  2. HBA - Am I better off with LSI/Avago or Areca? If it matters, I'm going to be using either a Dell 13G or HPe G9 server (yet to be determined).
I'm thinking I will use single HBA and am a little unclear if I can have a dual backplane config with single HBA that allows dual link/channel between HBA/backplane but also act as a redundant configuration at the same time, should one backplane expander/cable/port fail.

This information is also relevant to choosing of SAS or SATA drives, although preference initially would be to SATA for cost reasons.

Can't help with #1, but having used both LSI (I have a 9280-8e) and Areca (also have an ARC-1882) I'd vote for LSI, setup was easier and unlike the 1882, it had no problems with any hard drives or SSDs that I tossed at it.

Back